Flemish Giants

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by carlac, Dec 23, 2005.

1. carlac

carlac Member

Hi,
    I am considering getting a trio of Flemish Giants. Have never tasted rabbit, and not sure I will know what to do, but in the meantime, they seemed like they would be good as pets for the kids (5yo to 14yo).

Are they good as pets? Are they good as meat rabbits? Anything I should know about such as illness they might be prone to?

We have had rabbits for about 1 1/2 years now, so I think we have the taking care part down. Just trying to focus on a particular breed as opposed to the "whatever we adopt" type of rabbit.

Carla

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine was good with the kids, we adopted her from a family with lots of kids. They do tend to get sore hocks from wire floors. Also shed very badly and LOTS of flying fur. The one we had loved digging in the yard, she had a huge hole she could almost hide in. Unfortunately ours died when the feed we were buying was suddenly unavailable and I had to switch with no time for adjustment. (this was before I learned how to treat such problems)

Don't know about meat production except they start out bigger, eat much more than other rabbits, and end up larger. I'm not fond of rabbit meat.

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

And they have a crappy meat-to-bone ratio

4. dunroven

dunroven Well-Known Member Supporter

I raise Flemish Giants. They are not all that great for meat producers, due to amount of food it takes to get them grown. Too much bone for some people, but we like them anyway.

As far as pets, I have 1 Flemish rabbit, she is black. She should have been culled as a baby, but I just loved her. She had 1 leg that was kind of twisted, but dang if she wasn't a tough little girl. Now, her leg straightened out and probably she will never be used to breed, but every time I open her cage, she literally jumps into my arms and wants to be held and petted and she "hugs" me. She climbs right up by my face and snuggles right up to me. I call her Floppy. She is nearing a year old now, and again, I probably should have and still should cull her, but she is such a loveable rabbit, I can't do it.

We raise Flemish Giants, New Zealands, and Californians. We have 90 rabbits altogether. The NZs and cals are better for meat, Flemish are better for show critters, but Floppy, now she's my pet!

5. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

A friend of mine raised them as meat when he was a teenager and always had a waiting list of buyers. Acording to him, the size of the pieces of meat was always a draw. It does take longer for them to get to butchering size, but he thought they were worth it. He has said repeatedly that if he got rabbits again they would only be Flemish.

So they do have their followers. They aren't that efficient, but if you aren't growing them as cheaply as you can for a mass market type venture, that shouldn't be a problem.

Jennifer

6. carlac

carlac Member

Thanks for the responses! I think I will go ahead. They will be pets for now and I hope can stand up to the kids!

Carla

7. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Rabbit meat tastes good too! Think "chicken", but rabbit is ALL white meat, fine-grained, and higher in protein and lower in fat & cholesterol than chicken. Supposed to be easy to digest too.

8. bojay

bojay Active Member

I had a flemish giant who used to wait for me at the bus stop after school. I'm not kidding. She was also house trained.