Flemish Giant doe in WI

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dbarjacres, Feb 9, 2005.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Black 9 m.o. flemish giant doe. Nice looking doe, big bodied, altho not open show quality. Ready to breed or can breed to my lt. gray buck. She does have a pedigree and has some Doc Hall's lines. $30 or $35 bred

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Askelhill, if you're thinking about getting into commercial breeding, have you looked into New Zealand Whites or Californians? Most processors prefer their white pelts and a four-lb. fryer of either of these breeds will have more meat than a four-lb. Flemish fryer.

3. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm SO sorry this took so long, but didn't get notified anyone posted to my thread and I don't normally visit the bunny forum.

This is a VERY meaty doe, that's one of the reason's I feel she's not show potential. She's more compact and meaty then what I've seen show flemish as.

Where are you in the UP? We have hunting land by Saxon, WI (close to Ironwood MI) and it takes us 3.5 hours to get there. Go up a fair amount, so could possibly bring her there for you too.

Jenny

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I raise them for meat in San Diego County. I have a couple does and bucks. I had 2 papered does, but the only one that produced any kits died in the last heatwave. I was forced to breed the other doe that abandoned her kits, and surrogate them out to other does (smaller breeds) to raise. Of those that survived, I have 1 buck and 4 does.

I also mixed a buck with a rex/cal x doe, and she gave me some pretty colors. One even looks like a Siamese cat! I just started to breed the ones that were true to size and will cull the others. My goal was just to have enough giants to breed for meat production.