Fleas?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dreams30, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

One of my co-workers has fleas in her house. She said that she has "bombed" it but the fleas persist. Any advice?

2. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We use sevin dust when they get in the house, doesn't take much, but I don't like to vaccum it up.

3. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

This is going to be a bad year for about everything out there.

W/ fleas, it's just best if you sprinkle flea powder, or the sevin, or any other insecticide (I prefess dessicanst that aren't harmful to us), and vaccuum every 3-5 days. You have to break the cycle from egg, larvae, flea, and so on and so forth.

Also, once you have started the flea treatments, just after the problem will seem to get worse, and that's because the females will start laying eggs like crazy...you just need to keep on it!

4. mamasaanan

mamasaanan Well-Known Member

If you don't want to use sevin dust in the house, which I wouldn't if I had small children, use powdered boric acid. Takes longer to work than the sevin dust but it does work. Also, you can use good old 20 mule team borax. It also works well as a flea treatment for dogs. Mix a cup of borax in with the dogs bath water and bathe as usual. You'll be amazed at the number of dead fleas you'll find in the bottom of the tub. Helps keep them away too.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Just put the word 'flea' into the search feature here, there have been thousands of post about how to treat this problem.

6. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

A light sprinkling of DE is supposed to work, just not too much or it clogs your vacuum. My friend who is my dog expert guru, says that you need to do whatever vacuuming treatment you choose for ten days in a row to get the entire cycle.

hollym

7. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I've heard that table salt,scattered in carpet & vacumed up will kill fleas & their eggs.Old people's tales?

8. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

There has been a few times fleas have gotten in my house, the dog will bring them in, then my cat has very long hair and then my house gets infested. The only way I've been able to get rid of them is Raid flea spray. I don't like using the spray stuff, but it's either that or put up with the fleas. It comes in a purple can and it's designed to be sprayed on the carpet. Spray everywhere there is carpet, or cloth. The sofa, chairs, under the bed and on the bed. If you do this in the morning early then before bed time you can change all the bedding and not have to sleep on the bed clothes that were sprayed.

It's the only thing I have found to work on these Texas fleas.

9. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep-----------Worked Real Good For Me Too--------Expensive but worth it!!! Randy

10. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Also after you vacumn change the bag each time! Boric acid also DE(diatomacous? earth) will help too. Fleas are on a 21 day cycle from egg to baby flea. If you use bombs/foggers -- change products each time to avoid them getting resistant to a single product.

11. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

We had them. We vacuumed the carpet and put down borax. We also put some frontline topspot on the animals They are gone. :D

12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I vote for the Raid Flea Spray. Plus wash all flea infested critters every 6 or 7 days.

Spray the critters' lounging areas outside, too.

Spray the yard with something to kill fleas every seven days for a month.

Kill squirrels that come in your yard. Burn carcases immediately.

Do mouse and rat control.

Make sure you don't have any wild critters living in your attic.

13. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I set a lamp in the floor .Take a pie pan and put a drop of dishsoap in the piepan then fill with water swishing the soap into the water. Set the piepan under the lamp in the floor.See how many fleas you get over nite.leave the piepan for 2-3 weeks.Sprinkle borax in your carpet and leave there for a few days then vaccume up and start over.The fleas like the shiny pan and jump in the water the soap keeps them from comming back out they drown.The borax will dry up any eggs in the floor.Do this in every room and in 2 weeks there will be no fleas.Change your water as needed.

14. Guinea mama

Guinea mama Well-Known Member

She needs to stop the life cycle of the flea. If she stops the eggs from hatching the cycle will eventually stop on its own. I know most people say treat the carpet first, but I say in my experience treat the animal first. Use a good topical flea killer, not the cheap junk you buy at Walmart but the good stuff. The cheap stuff does not work have tried it all. The vets office has an awesome spray for fleas and your house though I can't remember the name since it has been awhile since I had to use it. I would get a good flea treatment for the animal like Revolution, my personal favorite and what I have found works best, or Frontline. They stop the cycle on all fronts, eggs, larvae, and adults, very important if you want to completely get rid of them. I would use the lamp sticky pad too. If your friend lives in the country I would recommend getting some guineas because frankly we are flea and tick free since we got them :goodjob: The only animals we treat are our cats and that is because they roam outside the yard, and we use Revolution for them, have found nothing that works as good.

15. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I hate wall-to-wall carpet! It's just an invitation for dirt, bugs, & allergies. I wouldn't have it in my house.

16. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

I'll keep nagging about the bombs and foggers. Resistance isn't the problem.

It is the way the product is dispersed.

When the product is used, fleas, roaches, whatever (except critters caught right out in the open like a fly or moth) move quickly away from the chemicals. They tuck themselves further into the carpet, cracks and crevices, furniture and the wait it out. The problem isn't solved, they return when the "danger" is over.

17. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

we have done this light over the dish trick, and it works great and catches all types of bugs. Have a trick catcher for FLYS and Yellow Jackets also, if interested.