Fleas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jwcinpk, Aug 12, 2004.

1. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

Looking for help getting rid of fleas. We have bombed, put stuff in the carpet, sprayed from a bottle of hartz flea killer and the little devils are still around. Strange thing is the cat doesn't seem to have them anymore after frontline. Natural repelants would be great as kids are always around.

2. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

We use a product called cedarcide... it comes in liquid, granual and powder... we use in on the carpet, directly on the dogs, on us, etc.. its all natural and it works, the only thing it doesnt keep away is the mosquitos.. but for fleas, there is nothing better.

We buy it at the pet store, but we have bought it at the grocery store as well as one of the farmers markets and feed and seed.

Lynn in Texas

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Place a nightlight about 16 inches above a wide pan of water, add a bit of dish soap, count the fleas in the morning. They will be floating, legs up, with little x's where their eyes should be. ;)

4. Marcee

Marcee Active Member

one friend put a nightlight above a bowl of water (maybe with dish soap in it?) and left it on at night. the fleas jumped at the light and fell in the water. they also walked around with tape on their legs to catch the fleas when they jumped on, but claimed the light thing worked well.

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Religiously use Frontline. It will break the lifecycle of the flea. It's a war to be won, one battle at a time. Zodiac spray is the best to use on the areas where the pets sleep. Zodiac makes a bomb that is wonderful. It will rid your house of all pests, including mice. Take out all your kids and pets and keep them away for as long as you possibly can. Use the yard spray by Adams. Hook it up to your garden hose and spray all the mulched areas where the pets play. Of course, guineas or peafowl will eat the fleas outside. Stop feeding squirrels near the house, they'll keep the life cycle going.

Again, use Frontline religiously. It will kill every flea and tick on the pet within 24 hours and it will have residual effect for 30 days. Use it every month, all year long. Adult fleas need a "blood feed" every 3 hours to stay alive. If they bite a pet with frontline, they'll die. We've used Avon Skin So Soft to keep them off of us while we wait for all the adults to jump onto the cat and bite him so they'll die.

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I've been told their worst enemy is a vacuum cleaner. Unfortunately it is mine also. :haha: Anyway, if you vacuum your carpets, couches ect. it is supposed to get rid of most all of them.

7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Put some pieces of cut up flea collars in the vacuum bag. It's one of the few good uses for the things. (The only other good use I know of for a flea collar is to send to soldiers in the Middle East to put around their ankles to keep "nasties" from crawling up their legs.)

Garlic is a great natural deterent as is catnip. Your local petstore should have some catnip extract in a spray. Use this on the children. It's great at repelling all kinds of insects. We spray it on our son to keep the mosquitos off him while he's outside.

8. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

It may not be practical to catch a flea and identify it, but it may solve your problem. There are different kinds of fleas with different kinds of preferred hosts. For example, a squirrel flea wont attack your pets as much as you and the squirrels; and, a human flea loves skunks and people. Cat fleas are the most common on pets. Cats complicate flea treatments because of their secretive nature. They have hiding places you may not know about that need to be treated. Bombs are not very effective at getting to these secret places. The bombs are also only effective as long as you can smell them. The business about fleas needing a blood meal every 3 hours is balogna. Also, no aerosol product will eliminate mice; however, mice could easily be a secondary host that could maintain the flea population. The same with rabbits and squirrels and..... If your cats are outdoor cats, they may be visiting a flea infested animal burrow and be bringing fresh fleas home. Based on your detail, you have treated the house and the cats (I assume thoroughly) and still have the problem, so, there is something else supporting the flea population. The flea is an insect with four life stages. Only the adult depends on and feeds on the blood host. The adult is the only stage effected by most sprays and bombs. They can go weeks or months without a host and still survive. The reason the carpets and floor cracks are treated is because the other three life stages live there. Vacuuming stimulates hatching of the pupae into adults and improves the action of applied chemicals. Since I am an exterminator, I may be able to give you more information, but you need to give me more information. It would be helpful to know more about the environment around the house, the condition of the house, and what other animals are around the house. There is no doubt if the animals in the house spend time outside, the problem is bigger than the house.
    GObug

9. Trisha A

Trisha A Active Member

Try Borax on the carpet, leave it for 24 hours then vaccum, put a couple of moth balls in the vaccum, when you are done , get rid of the bag, do this every seven days for 3 or 4 weeks. Frontline for your critters.

Trisha

10. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Are we that similar? :haha:

11. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

How often does a flea need a meal?

Just trying to help.
    :(

12. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Is the Borax poisonous to the fleas or does it act as a desicant like diatomacious earth?

13. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Frontline or K9 Advantix to start. Then listen to gobug. !!!

I read a great article about boric acid and Borax, BTW. It was about Borax abuse. !!! The article talked about how boric acid and Borax are very useful BUT they shouldn't be thrown around willy nilly all over the place. And it explained why.

It was by a pest dude, like gobug. I'll see if I can find it again.

14. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Okay. Found the article. And given diatomaceous earth works similarly to boric acid, I'd make a guess the same might be true for it. ! Remember that, just because something is *natural* doesn't mean it doesn't have hazards of its own. !

Note: I edited it down because my sinuses hurt so I didn't edit it down last night.

From here:

15. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

My textbook says boric acid is primarily a stomach poison with some contact action. A teaspoon is enough to kill your baby. If you put it on your carpet, you could poison your pets. Don't leave it there, vacuum it soon as suggested above. Moth balls are practically worthless unless they are enclosed in an airtight container. They are poisonous to you, so don't put them where you can smell them.

My textbook says an adult human flea can live 2 months without a blood meal during the summer months and a rat flea can live as long as 17 months without a blood meal if environmental conditions are right. Egg laying only occurs after a blood meal. A cat flea is likely to spend its entire adult life on it host. When there is no host available, many pupating fleas become dormant. When a new host appears, they suddenly hatch out.

Gary

16. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

Yeahbutt, DIATOMACEOUS EARTH is INERT. It is not a chemical insecticide.
    It is the skeletons of tiny, microscopic sea creatures.
    It does work as a dessicant, on insects. It gets in the joints of their
    exoskeletons and makes breaks & tears in their bodies.

It is so harmless that Folks who keep whole grains, in long-term storage,
    use it, by the ounce, stirred into the grain, to keep insects from destroying
    the Grain. You simply sift it out before you use the grain.

It can be sprinkled on your carpets and around your baseboards, to control
    Fleas, Ants and Roaches.

Diatomaceous Earth along with Vacuuming regularly is a good way to assist in controling fleas.
    "Advantage" and "Frontline" on your dogs will complete the control. I don't think you ever totally eliminate fleas, though.

Our Dobermanns are house dogs and we have no fleas. But when we moved
    here a year ago they brought them in from outdoors frequently.
    Just like flies, around the barn, it is not a one-time thing. It is constant control.
    You gotta stay on top of it.

17. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

There is a Raid carpet spray. I think the can is purple and you hold it upside down like a carpet cleaner can. Treat the cat and any other fur bearing pets with an appropriate flea solution. Use the Raid and leave the house for a couple of hours. I did 1 treatment and went from 15 flea attacks while crossing the house to 1 flea after 2 or 3 passes.