Fleas on puppies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Catbird, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Catbird

Catbird Well-Known Member

I have 4wk old chihuahua puppies with fleas.
    I need something that is safe to use on small puppies.
    I also started mother of puppies on brewers and garlic .I think the mother picks them up when she goes outside and brings them back in and unloads them on the puppies.Is there anything that is safe and natural i can use on mom and puppies that will get rid of the fleas? Thanks

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're near a petco or Petsmart, they have puppy formulations that you can use on both the female dog and pups. At this point, you really want to get on top of the fleas in the environment -- 4 week old pups can literally be sucked bloodless by fleas! (So can adults, but it takes longer.) I understand wanting to use all natural remedies, but time is of the essence. You should be able to find something with pyrethrins (a plant extract that is usually effective) at your local pet supply store.

Vacuum. Vacuum. Vacuum.

Did I mention that you should VACUUM? And dispose of the bag frequently. Put some flea powder/spray in the vacuum bag, too. If you burn, it's a good idea to burn the little buggers -- they are STURDY and TENACIOUS. Cockroaches got nothing on 'em!

Fleas spend the majority of their time off their food source (your pets and you), and the rest of the time mating more enthusiastically than rabbits in your carpets, kickboards, any tight little nook or cranny.

As for the outdoors, I'm unfamiliar with any natural remedy for that. Guinea fowl are supposed to eat ticks, don't know if they life fleas. You may want to call a natural or eco-friendly lawn service to see what they would recommend.

Oh, and BTW --- VACUUM!!!

3. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

There's flea powder that's safe for puppies and there's also a comb with very small teeth that will grrab the fleas out of the puppies coat. You might also try putting a ceder pillow in there with 'em it seems to keep away fleas from inside the house.

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

any soap and water bath will drown the fleas off the pups, you need to treat the fabrics in theouse , carpets and furniture with something like boric acid dust to kill the breeding fleas.
    they only go to the dog to eat then jump off.

5. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

Whatever you do DO NOT USE OVER THE COUNTER TYPE JUNK LIKE HARTZ AND ZODIAC......

Last year we used ZODIAC "FLEA & TICK FOR CATS"

I was laid-off from my job and could not afford our regular
    FRONT LINE so we tried a cheaper brand (HA) we bought at Walmart.

We put it on our 7 cats....all but one went into convultions for hours, had to stay at the emergency vet for 24-48 hours for observation and cost me a total of $800.00

We contacted the manufacturer and after "THEY" did their invetigation, said we put on the wrong stuff on our cats ( implying we did it purposilly). We could not regain our $$$ loss and can not afford lawyers and such.

Good news though....all cats came through OK ( Thanks to our Vet ) but one has slight continual nuro problems.

PLEASE DON'T TAKE CHANCE ON THESE PRODUCTS, IF YOU DO A SEARCH ON THE WEB ON THEM, MANY PEOPLE HAVE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS OR LOST THEIR PET ALL TOGETHER.

If you really love your pets.....avoid these products altogether, if you don't love your pet enough to do the right thing, give them a home with someone who does and will love them enough to do the right thing.

6. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

YOur best bet is to wash the babies in Lemon fresh Joy detergent. Soap them all up and let it sit for a few minutes. THen rinse it all off. Now the hard part is to keep the fleas off mom. If she is geting the fleas from the yard, you might want to set up an xpen in another yard, Front?, and use that see if there are fewer fleas.
    Alice in virginia

7. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

To keep the free loaders off of Mom you may be able to use Frontline. I am a vet, but since I'm not YOUR vet legally I can't tell you to use it or not use it. Ask your vet if it's OK. I got out the package insert and it says "consult your veterinarian before using on medicated, debilitated, aged, pregnant, or nursing animals." It also gives a phone number for 24-hour assistance: 1-800-660-1842.

Everybody's suggestions for the pups are great-pretty much bathing and manual removal are the only safe things for such young and small puppies. If you want to put any flea powders on them I'd take a long HARD look at the labels first. Good luck!

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Vacuum the floor, then sprinkle borax all over the carpeting. Leave that for a day or two, then repeat. I would just give the puppy baths, and use a flea comb. Also, DE (diatomaceous earth). I used it on squirrels with fleas once. On them and their bedding, and it worked. I does seem that some sorces are better than others.

9. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

That's great Golden... I"M NOT a vet.. so I can say GET THE FRONTLINE!!!! Cut the crap with all this 'natural' stuff that does NOT WORK!!

You can alternate IN THE YARD (if necessary) every couple of weeks, months, etc. Dursban and Diazinon.

I've bred dogs or just had several for YEARS. All that other 'home remedy' stuff is just nonsense.. (Sorry.. you guys.. ) I live in TEXAS and those damn fleas are tough to kill/keep away w/ the good weather!!

I like the monthly application of Frontline or Advantage. It is overall cheaper and the Frontline spray (I don't care what they - vets- try to tell me) HAS BEEN DILUTED since the 'good ole' days'! I actually used to use the spray and it worked.. One shot for 10 lbs.. once a month.. NO MORE... it's a shot per pound and last a week.

10. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

It is good to have a vet here GoldenMom. Our female looks pregnant and DH doesn't think so. She is due around Feb. 20 so we may be needing your help and any suggestions what to do to make her comfortable. She is nervous and hot in the house. She has done this 2 times before as she is 6 yrs old but she is new to us.