Fleamarket Withdrawls

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dawndra, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

It's only January. How am I going to make it through until April? I am having deep withdrawls from the fleamarket we go to during the summer. www.rutledgefleamarket.com Usually goodwill suffices... not this year... *sigh*

Am I the only one in this condition? lol

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

dwandra,
    i'm feeling the same way. i scour the flea markets for material such as courderoy pants and skirts and woolen items, for making braided rugs.

i also look for good curtain material and sheets still in their wrappers.

example: when putting linings on curtains, i use the sheet material that cost 50 cents a pack, for the liner.

i love shopping at the fabric stores, but material can be soooooo expensive. by having a good stash from flea markets and goodwill stores and yard sales, i can satisfy my textile needs without doing major damage to hour budget.

there's other stuff i'm always on the lookout for, too.

when my kids were little i got great buys on clothing that way.

what do you look for? what do you miss not browsing for?

debbie

4. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

I miss it too, but as a vendor I'm glad for the downtime. Our market goes from the last Saturday in May until the Saturday before Christmas. I'm tired and need some planning and paperwork time. May will be here soon and I start the greenhouse up the first of April.

5. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

SORRY!! I must be REALLY tired - I thought your post was about FARMER'S MARKETS.

6. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

You may have to indulge in Ebay.

7. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

I hate it when the "Shakes" set in.
    I've had to break down and go to thrift shops to get my "Fix"
    Where's spring????????

8. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Spring can't be far away... I've been getting seed catalogs....

I look for kitchen things, fabric for rugs, too, birthday and christmas gifts.... anything I NEEEEEEED.

9. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

When the weather is good you can either Flea Market or Yardsale. However, you can go to an auction any time of the year. I'm not talking about Ebay here, I'm talking about an actual auction where you hold up a card to bid. There is no telling what you might find there. Sure, there are the professional antique dealers and whatnot who drive the price up on some stuff, but the stuff that they bid on you probably wouldn't want anyway.

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

We have an indoor flea market that runs year round.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've been doing great for months. Fell off the wagon last week and stepped into the thrift store 'just to see what they have'. :eek: Came home with a gal zip lock bag of trims for 25 c, a mist thing (you hook the garden hose to it to cool off, I thought it would be great for a green house mister) 2.00, and a new late 50s bedside table for 5.00. :) But I didn't buy any of the other stuff that I thought might come in handy! Only stuff I really had a USE for, doncha know! :yeeha:

12. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

13. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you need to spend money, or would "free" be alright? Do you need to leave the house, or could you do a little "flea marketing" from your computer? Cuz I have found freecycle.org to be the best thing since I don't know what. <G>

Seriously, I must come off like a recent religious convert, but that system totally rocks me!

14. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I have hit a couple Public auctions lately. Found some pretty good stuff, I was able to bid off. I would love to be able to go to the 2 big flea mkts mentioned in the previous posts.

We have small flea mkts around here. The biggest one is held about 30 mi away on Friday. It has mainly turned into regular dealers with this new junk. I like old stuff.

I like going to good yard sales but there's not been any of those lately. Not since Nov anyway.

I know what you mean when you say you are having withdrawls.

15. kidsnchix

kidsnchix Well-Known Member

I recently bought an old oak wash stand. It has a towel rack and 2 drawers. One of them has a small hole in it but I can make do. Now I'm looking for a pitcher and bowl to go on top. The only ones I've found around here recently are either too small or they are junk with a gaudy paint job. Still searching for just the "right" one.

Our estate auctions don't usually start around here till spring, so I'm saving up. Can't wait to get out there again.

RoseKYTN

16. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We have a flea market that runs year round also, the first weekend every month in an old Kmart bldg. All the stores in the complex(I *think* 3) are also converted to flea markets, one store that is open all the time. The goodwills in the area dont even compare.

17. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I just really can't wait!

18. braggscowboy

braggscowboy Well-Known Member Supporter

I know what each of you mean by missing the fleamarket. I try to make on in Tulsa two to three times a month. I like the large outside one and I buy mostly old things or tools that I can use or (think that I might use) have a barn full of that kind of stuff. There is also a good fleamarket at the Tulsa Fairgrounds on most Saturdays of the year. Also, there are a few of the ones that are inside that run on the weekends that sometimes can be good, depending what you are looking for. There is even a person that comes and sells food that has bent cans or damaged boxes of cereal. Great place for cereal, peppers etc. I went all the way to SD last week and did not find any fleamarkets, but did find a good shop in Rapid City and one in Missouri just south of I think Clinton. It was not too far north of of I-44. I have bought there a time or two before. There was a good flea or shop in Harrisonville Mo, but not as good any more.

19. jarrial

jarrial New Member

20. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Rose, check your PMs.