Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to save a little money, we bought the Hartz topical flea stuff from the pet store instead of the usual Frontline. Well, it's not working. Seemed to work the first time, isn't working at all after the second application about a week ago. Plus it's just nasty, oily, stays on their fur in a strip where applied unlike Frontline, which is practically invisible within hours. And it stinks.

I want to just put on Frontline, now. But is it safe to do it so soon? Would it help to bathe the dogs first? Or should I just wait a couple weeks and hope for the best? Poor Rocky has sores on his belly from flea bites.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
My stepson was trying to save a little money too using Hartz flea stuff. It ended up costing him over $400 in vet bills to save the dog! Please, PLEASE don't ever use that on your dogs again! I have heard of more than one having dire results from using it. As for adding Frontline now, I wouldn't. Wash him good letting the soap set for a few minutes before rinsing and try to treat the yard with something until you can put Frontline on him again.

Just my .02 worth,
Sherry in GA

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Typically we recommend waiting 2-3 weeks before applying a new flea treatment. You should wash the pet in dish soap to remove as much as the oil as possible.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I have good results with the Hartz plus flea drops- but on cats it does not last more than 3 weeks. On the dogs, I have had good results- but better results with the old formula. It could be that my results are better though because I have never had the dogs infested with fleas, always treat the environment whether it needs it or not every 6 months, and I sprinkle thier food with a little garlic powder daily (which helps to keep them away).
The new formula for cats made my cat have a severe alleric reaction- where the old pyrethrin based formula worked well with no reaction. I no longer reccommend the new formula to my buyers. Instead I suggest as a cheaper alternative, something that is pyrethrin based or adams flea and tick mist as needed.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Just my two cents worth, I don't treat the animals any longer, I treat the enviorment. We had a big flea problem about 5 years ago, nothing seemed to work when treating the animals. So my vet told me to use Zodiac Multi-Purpose Home & Insect Spray. I treated everywhere, the house, thier beds and the deck and anywhere they hang out. To my surprise, haven't had a flea problem since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts