Flea beetles - kill, kill, kill

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mr. Dot, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Howdy
    Well I have flea beetles on my freshly up potatoes. I believe I had them last year on my tomatoes as well but didn't identify the problem. So they probably are somewhat established here inspite of crop rotation. I did a search of this forum and came up with Sevin, Dawn dishwashing soap, wood ash, garlic, neem oil and giving up. I just dusted with wood ash but am not sure what that's supposed to do to the durn things. ? I have Sevin but will try to keep that out of the garden unless backed into a corner. I'll be mixing up some garlic/oil concoction of some sort and try that this weekend.
    So the question is: What successes have you had with controlling these guys with non-chemical means - preferrably something homemade? The damage is confined to a small area so far and I'd like to nip 'em in the bud.
    thanx

2. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

I havent had a problem with those tiny beetles just yet. But I did purchase a neem oil product (garden safe) to use against aphids. Have to spray it on my grape vine 2x day so I don't liek that product. They call it "neem oil" but it's not oily it's a hydro mixture so doesn't clog up the plant leaves. To me it's just like spraying pure water from a bottle and it wouldn't have cost me 5 bucks.

If you can use a garlic mixture as repellent then that would work better than the neem I bet.

Next year I am going to plant sooooooo much garlic hopefully repel anything away for a mile!

3. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

i've got a problem with them too. i've used a soap insecticide, that seems to be working for the aphids and little caterpillers, but the stupid flea beetles won't stay still so i can spray them. :)

i don't know if the soap insecticide kills them if they jump on the plant after i've sprayed. does anybody know?

debbie

4. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Perhaps you could lure them away with leafy spurge?