Flea beetle Battle!!! help!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dk_40207, Jun 3, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Flea beetles must be taking over the world!! okay, maybe i'm being dramatic, but they are at least taking over our little part of the world!
    They showed up in the cole crops firts. We used a spray that only worked for a few days and then they were back. They have migrated to other things now.

My lazy housewife gbreens are skeletons now :Bawling: I'm not sure they will survive. As I went out to tie up tomatoes, I seen that they are working on them as well.

We have a fairly large garden...somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000-3000sq ft. It is raised beds of 100sqft w/ walkways between.

We live in a rural area where the only things grown are corn and soybeans.

Okay, what I'm owndering is WHAT DO I DO?!?! We had a lovely buck of garlic/pepper spray brewing, but my dear mother came over and threw it out...I guess she thought is ws trash!

What kind of spray do some of you all use for these things? We are trying to stay as organic as possible, but at the risk of losing all of our food...I will deviate from that a bit if it is our only hope :help:

I am also told that the tomato hornworm is bad in these parts....never dealt with those buggers before.

Christina

2. dk_40207

okay, I think most of the damage on the greenbeans is the mexican bean beetle...I've never dealt with these guys before either. I guess all of the spraying on the soybean crops is making them hop on over here :(

What can I do? I have another round of seedling that should be popping out any day!

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i have them all over my potato plants. i think i will try powdered lime.

4. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

I used Sevin dust. Not organic, but very effective. I had flea beetles on potatoes & tomatoes, and Mexican bean beetles on the beans, and a few potato bugs on (you guessed it) the potatoes. Sevin knocked 'em all back.

-Joy

5. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Rotenone is organic and it works.

6. dk_40207

Where is the best--read cheapest--place to get rotenone??
    I used some sevin, even thought I really hated too. It did work. I guess when your really in a pickle.....

I'm somewhat suprised because the land we have our garden on has NEVER seen a garden before. We also use companion planting...didn't work this year:(

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

8. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

Rotenone--as a powder, not a liquid-- if they are really bad.

I've found they love egg plant, so I grow some egg plant as trap crops.

Mexican bean beetles love yellow wax bean plants above all others. Ferny plants like dill and fennel attract beneficial wasps that kill beetle larvae. Pick off the eggs on the underside of the leaf before spraying/dusting.

You really have to have a major (biblical proportion) infestation of flea beetles to seriously damage tomatoes or potatoes that are at knee height or taller.

9. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

An elderly gardener once told me that sprinkling with talcum powder would take care of flea beetles. I've never tried it, though I should -- they eat all my nasturtiums.

10. ginsengsally

ginsengsally Well-Known Member

We always use row covers to keep the flea beetles out of our brassicas. No sprays, just exclude them.

11. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

We've just joined the flea beetle battle - sounds like something from Dr. Seuss' "Fox in Sox", LOL!

Yesterday I went out to check on the garden and couldn't believe what I saw. Just hundreds of those tiny little beetles. Got a spray from a neighbor after telling him our woes and this morning they are gone, but from what I've read on the 'net they are not that easy to control.

My poor veggies are struggling hard enough as it is... definitely going to look into the Rotenone!

12. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

LOL! As soon as I saw this thread I started thinking of a tweedle beetle battle with their paddles in a puddle on a noodle-eating poodle! Ah... the joys of having a three-year-old.

13. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

someone suggested to me on another web site
    she keeps a sprayer of rotenone/pyrethrin mixed
    she said it didn't hurt earthworms, but i didn't ask about ladybugs

I had about given up on eggplant because of these
    and don't plant cabbage, etc. until the fall

will this organic mix kill friendly bugs and bees as well as unwanted?

how does it kill
    would it need to be sprayed or dusted in the evening

Thoughthound--
    why do you advise powder over spray
    I think for me, admittedly only having used sprayers for weeds, that spraying would be easier than powers

14. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

The sprays and powders will kill beneficial as well as harmful insects.

Flea beetles are hard to control. We have them this year and I researched it quite a bit. You can try:

Row covers
    Wood ash (dust leaves with it)
    Rotenone

As someone else posted, you have to have biblical proportions of flea beetles before they'll harm potato or tomato crops. They're more of a nuisance on leaf crops, because they're eating the stuff YOU want to eat - but again it's unusual (though not unheard of) for them to actually kill a plant.

15. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

16. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Ugh! I just google'd the image of flea beetles to see what they look like. I wasn't sure if I've ever seen them before. Nope, I haven't, and I hope not to, but just in case...

Will DE work against them?

Pony!