flea and tick

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by C@TFISH, Apr 24, 2005.

1. C@TFISH

C@TFISH smells like garlic

Where can I buy the injectable stuff (and whats it called)to keep ticks off dogs for 6 months?
    Could I inject myself with it to keep the ticks off me too?

2. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Never heard of an injectible for ticks. :confused: There was a 6-month injectible for heartworms called Proheart 6, but it's off the market now due to safety concerns.

Edited to add: BTW the Proheart stuff was could only be purchased/given by vets, so if there is a tick one out there I'm sure it's vet only also.

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Could you ask your vet what it was? I would really like to know. An injection sure would be easier!

4. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have no problems getting fleas off my dogs but the cats are another story! I've tried the Advantage shoulder drops...etc they still have fleas! :eek: I might be reduced to making them take pills that kill the fleas and prevents them from getting heartworms....grrr...any ideas or advice? I think it's because their hair is much different than dogs' hair.

5. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

have you tried DE Ted?

6. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it could of been Proheart, some vets would market them as flea and tick control as well. We only advertised it to our clinics as heartworm only. Alot of heartworm products advertise as flea and tick control as well. My best recomendation is Frontline, just a spray in a bottle, spray the dog(1 squirt per 10lbs of weight) rub in the coat and viola 3 months of control. We've used it on our clothes before, and I will say although I don't recomend it that it gets rids of the nasty itch of poision ivy in a hurry, but I don't recomend it. It actually gets absorbed into the bloodstream, hence why it works so well on dogs and cats. That's my recomendation. I don't know of any injectible kind of flea and tick control.

7. SweetTater

SweetTater Texas

I tried everything. Now we just keep ours dusted with 7-dust, works real well.

8. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I've used front line on my cats and it works fantastic.