Flea and tick products

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozarkyehti, Mar 25, 2005.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

With flea and tick season just around the corner I wanted to warn people about what to use on your pets. I posted this last year and probably will a couple of times this year. Please do notuse these products

Just wanted to warn everybody not to use any over the counter flea & tick repelent on your dogs and cats.

We usally use Frontline on our animals,and recommend it.

But to save money, we went and got an over the counter brand.

We used Spot On for cats, made by Zodiac.

Within two hours of applying it to our cats (we have 6) five of them went into seizures.

We live 1 +hrs from the emergency animal clinic, so our cats seizures for over 2 + hours. I ended up spending almost $1000.00 dollars on vet. bills.

After talking to the emergency vet they say that they see this all the time with over the counter meds.

Zodiac is giving us the run around, so we will probably will have to get a lawyer to get our money back, and with the run around and hassle that Zodiac is giving us I may want more than just our bills payed.

Five of the cats are doing fine now, one looks like it will have permanent nero. problems.

Has anybody had similar problems with Zodiac, Hartz, ect.

Our vet says tha the see reactions all the time from these products.

2. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

no, I havent and dont plan to. I am wanting to find a cheaper way to protect our cats but they do sleep on our beds so I want it to work

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I've used Frontline on my terriers for several years now, and it's the best for ticks. They get outdoors quite a bit for walkabout in the grass, so protection is needed. I Tried Zodiac before with no harmful effects.
    I put on Frontline about mid May here as that is when ticks are seen. Infestations can be heavy and with Frontline, it's good for a month before applying again. I try and get away with only the two applications, unless July is particularly bad with ticks.

4. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

Yes, the OTC stuff is bad news. I had a friend who used the cheap stuff - I think it was Hartz - and the cat nearly died. The vet told them NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use the OTC stuff.

Diana

5. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

So sorry about all that. You may want to check out the post made today called diatomaceous earth by Carol in Ky. Other flea preventers are mentioned. Hope your cat recovers!

6. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I've heard the best stuff out there now is Revolution, I've also had vets recomend Advantage over Frontline.
    I dont know if DE is safe to use directly on an animal because it is a dust, :confused: , though it can be a very affective way to control fleas in the yard.
    our cat almost died due to a flea shampoo.

7. Don't know about cats but I use 7 dust on my dogs. Works great.

8. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

We use 7 dust on our cats and dogs as well.... Works great! I've even used it in the "cat labor and delivery ward" when we had a cat give birth inside the backroom of the trailer. It was infesting the house with fleas badly, so I sprinkled it on the carpet, let it sit overnight, and vacuumed it in the morning... no more fleas in the house!

Of course, I do this on my animals while they are all outside, first thing in the morning... inform the children not to touch the "ghost kitties" all day. Never had a problem when I let the weenie cats who sleep inside at night back in.