Flag flying protocal/Reagans death

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 10, 2004.

1. I just realized, I have the flag flying out off the porch as I always do. Should it be taken down? It's on a pole attached to one of the columns. I can't put it at half staff. Anyone know the "right " thing to do??

Pigeon Lady - not logged in

2. I'd take it down if it's not being displayed at half-mast and can't be arranged to do so.

3. http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html but everywhere I've looked can't find on a flag that doesn't go down...I'd say display out of respect, but I think it's your choice.

reading that site, talk about a lot of flag mistakes made all the time everywhere. OMG I use the flag stamps, have flags on my clothing (some even have advertising :O ) oh dear.

4. course my brother just disagrees with me and says to not display if can't do half mast. talk about confusing.

5. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks,

Yes, I'm totally confused too. I've decided to take it down at sunset and put it back up on Monday.

P.L.

6. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Can you encase it? While I was in the military the flags like that were left up, but encased. If encasing it is not practical, personally, I would remove it for the prescribed number of days. In this case 30 days.

7. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

This is from a google search I did
    "If your flag is on an outrigger flagpole or mounted on a wall and cannot be flown at half-staff, it is appropriate to drape a purple and black mourning ribbon across the flag. "
    HTH,
    Karen in NE Indiana

8. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

9. Dave in Ohio

Dave in Ohio Well-Known Member

A black ribbon hanging from the top of the pole, the length of the flag and the width of a stripe is to used for those flags that cannot be lowered half mast. I heard that the flag is to be half staff for 30 days?

10. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Yes, 30 days.

Death of a president is 30 days. VP is 10 days, etc. The less of a national symbol one is the less time the national symbol is lowered. Makes sense to me.

11. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I kind of wondered about a black ribbon for our flag, too. Thanks for finding that.

Ann