Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!
Thought i would share this video i made about fixing my gravel driveway with a tractor, i used a smudge bar i made out of scrap steel and it works a treat a lot cheaper then buying a grader blade or box blade if you can weld or have a mate who can weld. Very simple and very effective, i also use to after i have cleared some land to smooth out paddocks. Hopefully this can help some people out.

Cheers!

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,950 Posts
Sometimes "free" works better than the expensive implements out there....it's amazing how much road work used to be done with mules and homemade Fresno scrapers...

Welcome to HT, by the way!

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
You have very nice video editing skills as well. Nice job.

when I was a kid the state highway going down a ravine here was just new. The shoulder carried too much water for too far, and washed out. They fixed it 5 times, and then they built an open u trough to carry the water down. Over the years there was some concern at times if the open trough was a hazard if you went off the road and in, but then they put up railing for 80% of the way.

so, the last 2 years they completely rebuilt the road, they actually added an overpass bridge and a double round a bouts below. It is a Tee intersection of two state highways.

anyhow, the new engineers of course came up with a “new” way to treat the water flowing down the road ditch to the bottom. They have several large tiles. As well they have dams across the road ditch and big tile to drop the water down to the next level, so the water never gets much speed and is flowing mostly level between drop points.

us locals chuckled.

well, the road has been open since December.

they are repairing the road ditch for the third time.

we get heavy rains here.

the first time, they said the vegetation didn’t have time to root in, everything will be fine we just have to clean up the washouts and dig out our tile openings.

the second time they said, well, that was an abnormal amount of rain. They brought in excavators to find their bottom drain, it was covered with 4feet of mud and the water was flowing over the bottom roundabout.....

The third time they said we will fix this right, and they are scooping out a lot of dirt, and putting basketball size crushed rock in as the entire road ditch. Work is ongoing, as they have to scoop all the mud out again.

we locals are still chuckling. Well it is partly our money being spent, and we would cry to see the wasted money. Might as well laugh.....

becasue, in a couple years, they will be removing the rock and pouring concrete channel to get the water to flow down without eroding the road shoulder. We locals know how water scours around rocks and sinks them, tumbles them, and still will erode the road shoulder.

but new engineers know better, but they must use the same old textbooks, the cycle of life And mistakes repeats. Going to take two more washouts before we get the concrete pour to stabilize and channel the water. Like it should have been the first time.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes "free" works better than the expensive implements out there....it's amazing how much road work used to be done with mules and homemade Fresno scrapers...

Welcome to HT, by the way!
Thanks cerhberg, I agree there is usually a simpler and cheaper way then the expensive stuff that's around today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, hahaha classic, it's the same story around here our local council are hopeless at road work seems like there always doing things more then once.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Our local road folks are the same way.

Built a "temporary" 2 lane freeway bridge a few years back. Then built the "real" one next to it, reversed the flow, built the "real" one going the other direction and then demoed the "temporary" one.

These were over a major river crossing.

I know a guy who knows a guy that works in the field.

I asked him what the difference in a "temporary" highway bridge and a "permanent" highway bridge was.

He said the "temporary" one says "Temporary" on the plans and the permanent one says "Permanent" on the plans.

They must be built the same, as the same traffic is going over them as they are being used as a temporary bypass.

·
Premium Member
2,595 Posts
I keep a big hunk of heavy I Beam around that I've used on numerous occasions for grading and leveling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts