Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A sweating toilet tank is simply a result of cold tank water reacting with the warm air causing condensation on the porcelain tank. An easy and inexpensive fix is to drain the tank and then line the tank with 1/2 inch thick styrofoam insulation cut to fit and glued in place with adhesive on the inside of the resevoir tank.

U

·
0 Posts
An easier solution is to just by a bathroom accessory set,matching Tank cover,seat cover,floor rug. Or just by the tank cover.

·
Super Moderator
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they will still allow sweating and can cause mildew and mold growth in the cover.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I knew a guy whose toilet sweated all the time and turns out he had it hooked to the hot water instead of the cold! I bet it was nice in the winter

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
I don't know if this is done anymore. Years ago, they'd run an extra line to the toilet tank of warm water with a shut off valve. When it got hot and humid, we'd turn off the cold water and use warmish water to prevent sweating.

And Shrek is correct about mildew and mold growing on the cover. Those covers got gross!

·
Super Moderator
13,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have also glued ziplock bag "air pillows inside the tank to provide airspace insultion. Added advantages of the insulation is that your not out of higher cost plumbing expenses, no hot water use and it also reduces flush water use while not dramatically reducing the water vortex.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Most toilets installed in new homes before 1995, used 5 gallons of water or more. Reminds me of those hospital toilets that will suck down a pillow! I'll pay for the extra water...I just want a toilet with power. Something that makes a breeze when flushed. Maybe I'm watching Tool Time too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts