Fixing a sweating toilet tank

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Shrek, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

A sweating toilet tank is simply a result of cold tank water reacting with the warm air causing condensation on the porcelain tank. An easy and inexpensive fix is to drain the tank and then line the tank with 1/2 inch thick styrofoam insulation cut to fit and glued in place with adhesive on the inside of the resevoir tank.

2. An easier solution is to just by a bathroom accessory set,matching Tank cover,seat cover,floor rug. Or just by the tank cover.

3. Shrek

they will still allow sweating and can cause mildew and mold growth in the cover.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

How about refrigerating the bath room?

5. Tractorman

Tractorman Well-Known Member

I knew a guy whose toilet sweated all the time and turns out he had it hooked to the hot water instead of the cold! I bet it was nice in the winter

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if this is done anymore. Years ago, they'd run an extra line to the toilet tank of warm water with a shut off valve. When it got hot and humid, we'd turn off the cold water and use warmish water to prevent sweating.

And Shrek is correct about mildew and mold growing on the cover. Those covers got gross!

7. barefoot gal

barefoot gal Member

Anti-sweat valve allows you to mix some hot water with the cold before water enters the toilet tank. As Ardie said, you can keep the hot water turned off most of the year and only use it when hot and humid. Check www.washingtonlumber.doitbest.com for "anti-sweat valve". SKU:401250

8. Shrek

I have also glued ziplock bag "air pillows inside the tank to provide airspace insultion. Added advantages of the insulation is that your not out of higher cost plumbing expenses, no hot water use and it also reduces flush water use while not dramatically reducing the water vortex.

9. deviator12000

deviator12000 Member

Most toilets installed in new homes before 1995, used 5 gallons of water or more. Reminds me of those hospital toilets that will suck down a pillow! I'll pay for the extra water...I just want a toilet with power. Something that makes a breeze when flushed. Maybe I'm watching Tool Time too much.

10. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

deviator - just make sure, if you're a sittin' flusher, that there is something sturdy nearby to grab on to