fixing a chainsaw

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TexasArtist, Sep 30, 2005.

1. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Does anybody know how to fix this stinkin chainsaw??? I tighten up the chain then tighten down the bolts that hold the plate on and everything seems fine but when I start her up and give it a couple of revs of the engine the chain comes loose. :viking: Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong??

2. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

You seem to have missed the tension screw. It keeps the plate from sliding back towards the handle. The head of it will be pointed toward the saw tip.

3. poppy

poppy Guest

Sounds like you may not be holding the bar up while you tighten the bolts.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............................There are usually 2 different mechanical methods of keeping the chain tight . The old style is a screw that you have to access\tighten with a slim screwdriver after you attach(then tighten) that plate that covers the chain going round the engine drive gear . The other method is a Hole out almost on the end of the bar that you turn with a secrewdriver that moves the wheel on the end of the chainbar that keeps the chain tight . BOTH methods push the the chain out and away from the saw too keep it tight . If , it is loose , the chain will NOT stay implanted ON the "groove" on the chainbar . fordy... :cool:

5. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Check the sprocket and clutch.If you sprocket is worn it could be causng this problem.Just a thought...idontno