Fix for Jungle Rot

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by Jacki, May 6, 2004.

1. Jacki

Jacki Well-Known Member

I will start by saying that I am a vet, and my late DH was also. This is the one year anniversary of his death by heart attack.
    For many years before I met him, he denied being in the military, and serving in VN. The way vets were treated then had a lot to do with that denial.

He had been wounded in 67 TET, and had severe scarring on his lower legs. As a result of the wounds, he suffered from jungle rot any time one of the scars was scratched. He got stung by a yellow jacket just before we met, and the wound grew to an ulcer about the size of a half dollar before we finally got it to heal three years after we were married.

For several years after we were married, we struggled to find a way to manage the ulcers, and we finally developed a routine that actually worked. He would wash his legs useing phisoderm, and, when he got a cut or scratch, he would soak it with a solution of 5% boric acid.

I wanted to pass that on to anyone else who is trying to manage that nastiness, and hope it works as well for them as it did for us.

Jacki

2. reviekat

reviekat Well-Known Member

Jacki,

Thank you for this information. My grampers served in WWII and Korea. He contracted Jungle Rot in both feet and legs during his service in the Pacific.

He has diabetes which complicates the problem. Right now, the VA is trying experiemental electro-therapy on his feet and legs. It does seem to help a little, his feet no longer turn black after he's been on them for a few minutes.

I will pass this information along for him to try.

Thanks,
    Revee