Fix a Flat?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oceanrose, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

Ok guys,

I have a flat as a pancake tire on my car.

I went to change it, but I only have half a jack :nono: NO comments on how far I've driven in this car with half a jack. Yes, I should have checked.

Anyway, I'm hitching a ride to Walmart, but does anyone know, does the Fix a Flat stuff work? It went flat FAST so has to be a nail. YES guys, I am also picking up a jack.. :rolleyes:

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I would consider it a temp repair, but it does work on leaks - not gapping holes.

--->Paul

3. Savren

Savren Member

Before you jack up your car, read your owners manual. Check the car for instruction decals, showing you how to jack up the car. The decals may be under the hood, in the trunk or on the door edge.

What you describe as a "half of a jack" just may be all that your car requires. On some of the foreign made small cars the jack may have to be fitted into a hole or a socket.

Placing the jack in any other area may cause damage to the car and/or may be dangerous.

The best jack may be AAA (or other auto club). They may do roadside membership sign-ups.

Before you use the FaF check with a tire repair shop. The best way to fix a radial tire is to remove the tire from the rim and apply an internal radial patch. They will buff the area around the puncture and glue on the patch. The FaF may apply a substance that could prevent the buffing or the gluing.

Consider the FaF as a temporary stop gap fix. It may be a good thing if you are travelling in a remote area and it is the only way to get to safety. In that case you would consider discarding of the tire an acceptable cost.

4. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

From what I've heard if you use Fix-A-Flat on a tire when you do get it changed please tell the person doing the changing. The tire can explode in their face causing damage. It was our mechanic who told us this when my DH used it on a tire to get us back home then went to get it replaced at the garage.

5. Serena

Serena Well-Known Member

My husband is a mechanic(THe shops he has worked at he was the ONLY person there they allowed to change the tires on the fancy big rims and the corvettes, they didnt trust anyone else to do it right ) and he has always said not to use fix a flat unless you plan on buying a new tire. Hes never really explained in detail why but I think they cant patch the hole if fixaflat has been used.

I havent posted in a long time and normally just lurk but just a couple days ago he was telling this to his sister because she was telling everyone how WONDERFUL fixaflat was so I had to comment. I think fix a flat is better kept on hand for the stranded/emergency situations not everyday leaks/flats that you can find other options.

Serena

6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

tire inflating cans havnt been made with flamible gases in years...

7. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

It's worked for me on several occassions, but like someone says - it won't work on a big hole or rip. It usually does work as a temporary fix on a nail, screw or small objects in the tread area.

Funny story about the old explosive cans of flat fixer that I believe were outlawed several years ago: I was appraising an apartment complex a number of years ago, and looked at an upstairs bedroom where about half of the outside wall was completely blown out - about a 5'x7' hole through the wall, the brick, everything. Looked like a bomb went off. Turns out someone was trying to "fix" their leaky air mattress with a can of flat fixer, then proceeded to fill it with a hair dryer. Not good.

8. orangehen

orangehen Well-Known Member

Wow, SteveD, scary!!

9. ozarkcat

ozarkcat Well-Known Member

Check if you've got aluminum rims - I want to say that that type won't work with FAF, something about the way it reacts with the metal that keeps it from doing it's job. It's labeled on the can what type of rims you can't use it with.

10. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

The last time I messed with it the "goo" in fix a flat was extremely flammable. Ungodly flammable. I don't know about the propellant the but the "goo"was. One application of spark and the entire quantity from inside the cans went up instantly. So fast in fact that someone who will remain nameless lost eyebrows, some hair, all the hair on his arms and received some minor burns on his hands.

11. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Some of newer non-explosive FAF is just plain worthless for anything except cleaning out your wallet. Any FAF that does work and their is yet another newer formula that does work, is really only good for tiny puncture leaks and bead leaks. Thing is its now $5 a can for good stuff and used to be the old flamable stuff was under $1 can. Oh well, new or old I only used it for bead leaks. And if not in hurry better to dismount the tire and properly clean and paint the inside of the rim. The FAF does leave residue and its messy to clean up, but I wipe what I can with rag and go place where leak is with a wire brush in an angle grinder. Doesnt take much with angle grinder to leave nice fresh raw spot where patch can be applied successfully.

Oh ran into that slime stuff somebody had used on one of tires on my Ranger last fall. I couldnt figure why it looked like antifreeze in the tire. Somebody here mentioned here that slime is just antifreeze and paper pulp. It was worse to clean up that mess than cleaning up after FAF.