Fitting Stand Plans?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Terre d'Esprit, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

I did it! I took the plunge and entered my boer goats into two upcoming shows. I have some of the equipment, and am now under the gun to get together everything I need.

One of the things I desperately need is a fitting stand. I usually tie my critters up to trim hooves, etc., but the fitting stand seems to practically immobilize them, and they don't really panic (that I have seen). I have been to a couple of fitting clinics, and they seem to work a treat.

Well, they are a little pricey, even some of the cheaper, collapsible ones you can get. Has anyone made one? I know that there are plans out there for a wooden milking stand with a stanchion, but that just keeps them contained-- I need the little "chin holder" and chain to go around it. I was brainstorming all kinds of things, like a curved feed scoop, or coffee can (too sharp), but I just wondered if anyone had made one, or if anyone has one that can offer advice on how I might whip one up in a couple of days.

The platform part is easy, I am just needing the post with the head cradle part on it.

I hope this makes sense!!

Thanks in advance.

T

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I know what you are talking about...
    I've never seen plans for one before, but I've been thinking of making one for myself because they seem to literally immobilize the goat, whereas on the stand they can still kick and raise a fuss. They DO sell calf restraints, which are the same things... but made for calves. It could work on boer goats I would assume... Or, if you're handy enough, you may be able to modify it to your liking. I can't remember what magazine I saw the calf restraint in... Maybe Nasco or pbs supply. Maybe do a google for one?

3. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

That type of stand is commonly used by folks that shear sheep, so you might check with folks around you that keep sheep. They might even let you borrow one to get you through the shows...