Fitting questions.. (Evermoor?)

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, May 2, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well after the rabies shots, titanium 9 shots etc this coming Thursday I am going to get myself some clippers, along with the different blades for the different parts (ears, poll, legs, etc). I plan on getting an andis clipper, they look like good clippers, with good options. But id like your opinion (looking at ones with a cord, not the rechargeable).

What other stuff for fitting, as far as topline powders etc, what do you use? Also I was thinking of using baby shampoo (not irritating), for washing them, but would your opinion on that.

I am going to practice on some, ones I am not taking so I can get a feel for what I need to do, then have someone look to see if they spot any shave marks, flaws etc.

Now how about a blower, hair dryer type thing. Dryer that is used to stand the hair up.

Thanks!

Jeff

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Sounds like your right on track. Andis makes a good clippers. We have several of many differentvarieties. Aesclup is the top of the line clipper, which is also the most expensive. Heineger/Andis are good although there was some problems with the head, generally not too much of a problem unless they see a lot of use. Our mainstay is the Oster variable speed. You can use pet,human or special horse dog clippers for the fine details such as ears, udders, and tops. They main blades we use are oster 84au, fairly inexpensive and easy to find. On one set of clippers I have a set of surgical blades for uddersand ears. The small cordless clippers Oster or wahl are popular for the fine details on a topline. The blow dryers places such as Nasco advertise are ideal for toplines because they are heavier duty and can get hotter than most regular blow dryers. We use rosin powder for tops and then clear magic. Since you have Swiss and Holstein you willl want some black magic too since the clear magic will leave a trace of white that is much too obvious for a black 'stein. We use tide or cheap detergent for most washing needs. Sullivans makes an excellent shampoo that is used during the show. A lot of people use Orvus but I find it is hard to rinse out with cold water and causes dander.Also use a show sheen or other coat conditioner for daily use. Nasco is a good source for supplies or Sullivans or Patterson Supply co.
    Go ahead and practice away as this is the only way to find out how. Go to a show or sale and watch cattle get fitted. It is best to clipp the show heifers of now before they shed so they regrow longer hair. We usually hire a fitter to help us, because it takes a lot of time, and we take way too many. Don't get discouraged with it if you don't win much at first. There is a lot of skill time and money invested in some of those animals. Champ Holstein and the NY Spring Show is reputed to have a $100,000 price tag. WE were happy with having animals in the top ten or at least the first pull at our show. It does get me excited for the state fair in August.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I think that champ was $160,000 dollars, and from what I understand the person who owns it has 20 people running the place with 8 animals. More or less it's the kind of person that wants to win win win win. Funny though, even though those pricey animals show up, some of the less expensive animals win. For example, was told about this one Jersey that cost these one farms 7000-8000. Well their Jersey which was worth 4000 or so beat out that expensive Jersey, and whats funny. That 7-8k Jersey, edned up with 4th or 5th place.

But thanks for that info, what if the animals topline has mostly white?

Jeff

4. lilsassafrass

lilsassafrass Well-Known Member

Jeff

i am going to jump right in here , although my experienc is with showing beef ...

As to shampoos . I agree with evermoor that orvus ,really isnt a good choice .. and dander in a highland is even more of an agravation than for your short haired cattle .. many folks like to use joy dish soap ... but actually we use vo5 .. works just fine and is very cheap , i stock up when it is on sale and i can tell you that I get funny looks from folks when I go through check out with a whole cart full !

On blowers .. I know sullivan sells reconditioned blowers both from booths set up at different shows as well as through teh catalouge .. I bought a circuiteer(sp ) II a bunch of years back for 150 $ that si still going strong for me yet
    Getting time to replace now though.

I am a fancier of purple oil for final finish before we go into the ring

Also ... as a hair popper ... mix togetther half a bottle of absorbine , and half a bottle of sullivans pink coat dressing in a sprayer ( I cant remember the name ) .. shake well before spraying on and blow in .... will make that hair pop righ up ....

instead of show foam .. shaving cream works well unless you are looking for a colored show foam ..

Dont forget when you are all done with teh show .. and so many people do ..
    that you need to apply a releaser , such as kaboom .. or one of the other produckets .. even a vinagar risnse will work , adn wash out all teh stickers , poppers , dyes , powders etc .. I see so many folks that just tie their beasties up and dont do that step , and then wonder why their beasties coat is in such hoorid shape the next time they take that animal out !!!

5. evermoor

Go ahead and use clear magic on the white since it turns white if used excessively. With dairy you really do not want the hair to "pop" as it makes them look full ( which negates to fat). You may also want to tie the show calves in the barn during the day so they don't get sunbleach and stay cool (fans lots of fans, doesn't matter how cool). Have you checked out the aerthusa sites. Makes me dream but don't want that rep.
    http://www.arethusafarm.com
    http://www.kueffnerkows.com

6. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

The competition at the fair where ill be showing is good, but it isn't like the syracuse show, where you get people from other states involved. Sure those animals on those sites are nice, but the question is, do those people have an ego sooo big they are cocky? I am more impressed with nice animals that have nice people to go along.

I like this persons animals, www.markwellholstein.com talked to Mark, he is going to help me with sire selection next fall.. He judged at the black and white show in Cali.

Jeff

7. evermoor

All ( well almost all) the Big boys have attitudes. They can be a real turn off to amatuers or actually real people. It is good to find someone that is helpfull to beginners without all the BS. Seems like the B&W guys are real P%^*s and the colored breeds have less unless it was a Holstein breeders that has a few of them. Markwell is a good reputable place with fine cows and good production.

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Nice animals as well, EX-96 4E EEEEE that is impressive IMO (Markwell). But I agree, it can be a big turnoff for some, while others can understand that they simply are snobs. I know of a farm just like that, and not many people like them, for the same reason. Where I got some of these animals off this lady, her husband, herself and her two daughters do not have attitudes. But her son, man he has a serious ego. What's funny, he isn't that urgent to help me, in fact his mother said "you can clip his". You could tell he did not want to. It is competition, and I do think he sees it, he saw the pictures of them. The father said they would come down, yet to see them. Ah well, I have others that will help, and not only that I don't want bias help (never know if in fact it's an honest opinion). Either way, same person bought a $10k heifer and got 7th at the syracuse show, I know thats not bad, but if I spent $10k, id hope id atleast get 5th or better. So much for being good at deciding.

Question, Nasco has a clipper listed it is called a Aesculap Econom 2, it lists for 384.00, curious if that is a good solid clipper. I rather get what I pay for, vs getting something that will breakdown. I am going to use it for more than fitting, shaving the hair off the legs in the spring to get rid of that manure, animals don't like it, as they seem to enjoy it being plucked off in the spring. It's not a lot, but enough to bug me.

edit: Noticed the clipper you said that is excellent was the one I mentioned above. You also mentioned the oster, which model? Also as far as longevity, oster or andis? The oster claims "clipping all day", and stays oiled for 100 hours? The oster is cheaper, 180.00 cheaper, andis is more. But like I said, want something that will be durable, and do a good job (yes the user needs to do the job, but you can't cut a lawn without good blades ;))

Thanks again,

Jeff

9. evermoor

The aesculapII is the best that I use. The oster model is the 610., that I prefer. Also have the 510 which are nicknamed screamers as they are loud and a pain to use. The aesculap can really go all day, and make clipping a large number more enjoyable if you can make the experience enjoyable. It is pricey and replacement blades are not cheap( can use other model blades though).
    On the other note sometimes who is on the halter will get you further than how much a person paid for it. WE happen to live in proximty of the "boss hog" of the Jersey Mafia. Man it is hard to beat him but hey second isn't so bad.

10. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well I ordered the aesculap, and some blades. That clipper went up 80.00 since it was listed in the catalog, was 462, vs 384. Either way I wanted quality as from past experience buying things, you get what you pay for. Should be getting the new "toy" next thursday or so. Thanks again for the help. Now all I need is a dryer, and other stuff.

Jeff