Fitting for sheep coats?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by minnikin1, Mar 20, 2005.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

How do you determine what size coat a sheep will wear after shearing?

I want to order coats but can't imagine what they'll look like after all that wool is off...

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Wouldn't you want one that will fit with a full fleece and be adjustable down from that?

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I haven't seen any that are adjustable. Do you know of a source?

4. Karen Gaietto

Karen Gaietto Active Member

You are going to need more than one size. I suggest you measure them now and after shearing and try that. Also just jacket a few and decide if you like the results. I also caution you to make sure if you are planning to use on pregnant ewes to make sure the jacket is not to loose after delivery, or take off when they lamb. Had quite a few jacketed, but did loose one lamb that got caught in the strap. No one else in the flock had that problem, but in my situation I decided one lamb from that cause of death was to many. So no coats on around lambing.
    Just an FYI,
    Karen

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Thank you Karen, I didn't think of that! They are pregnant, so no coats for now.

It almost sounded like you have mixed feelings about the results after coating.
    Am I making an incorrect assumption? I'd be curious to know more about your experience with it.