Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ND doe had twins last night around midnight, all seemed well, little boy and girl up nursing.
Mom is up and about, acts normal.
BUT along with afterbirth there is now a fist sized bubble of pinkish fluid(looks like amnion fluid) hanging out. Is this another birth-sack, with a baby possibly stuck inside?

Will await answers, hate to "go in" if not necessary, she is so small...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see that it is empty except for the amniotic fluid, on the outside...

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I would go in...but don't tear anything out. JEEZ! That's just what I would do...wait a bit and see if anyone else has experienced this...I only have one birthing experience under my belt.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I don't know the correct term for it, but in my experience, this is always something that hangs out of the doe before the afterbirth/cleanings come out. It should come out once the doe fully cleans, so shortly if the kids are nursing, that'll release more oxytocin into her blood to get those contractions going again. It puzzled me too at first, I raised horses/donkeys first and the only time you ever saw a "bubble" like that was at the start of the birth when the water broke!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dbarjminis, thanks, I feel better about it now. There is what I would call "normal" afterbirth hanging out in addition to this "sack", which I had never seen before, like you. Glad to know that it's ok.

She is not acting like she is in labor. Up and about, nursing the kids, and eating...

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Have you bounced her?

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
From my limited experience; this is all part of the afterbirth stuff and will come out when the rest is expelled.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mygoat, yes, I bounced her, felt nothing, but I don't have a lot of experience with bouncing and feeling babies.

Minelson, went out to take pictures, my digital camera battery dies right after I turned it on...need to recharge it.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I would go in and do a gentle sweep. Use general precautions for cleanliness but as Minelson said, take care not to tear anything. This is more reliable than bouncing, but does take practice so you can get the feel of what things are *supposed* to be in there and what-not.

I was visiting a friend this summer who bred her first-freshener ND to one of my ND bucks. I was so fortunate to be there for the birth of the twins. She is far more experienced than I, having many years with pygmies and now a few years with NDs and lots and lots of births of both the livestock and human varieties. When the twins came out their placentas were all twisted and seemingly knotted up. Everything came out ok, but it was odd. It was only the third birth I'd witnessed and I remarked on it. She said she had never seen anything like it before either.

·
A & N Lazy Pond Farm
3,376 Posts
I would not be too quick to invade the nanny, from what I am reading it sounds like normal afterbirth. Some does just take longer than others to pass the afterbirth. If you do go in then you would need to start a round of antibiotics for 5 days. No need to stick her needlessly. The kids nursing will help her contractions and that will help her pass the afterbirth

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it's not the afterbirth I was worried about, I know what that looks like, just never saw the bag of amniotic fluid hanging out afterwards is all...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sounds totally normal.

If she were mine, I WOULD NOT go in at all- if she has not dropped the placenta in 24 hours- btw> the will eat them and can choke- then is when you need to intervene, but not by going in. If the vet wants to give you a shot of Oxytocin, that would put your mind at ease- you do not sound experienced enough yet to help the placenta out- as you gain more experience there's a way to apply gentle tension and help it come on out.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
It's normal for a goat to have a sac of fliuds hanging out after she kids. Generally, if I can see that ropy afterbirth cord along with it, she's done kidding and is just cleaning out. Usually the kids nursing or you milking her will release her natural oxytocin and she'll expel it.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Although I didn't used to think this, now it is my opinion that you do not need to do antibiotics just because you go in. Most breeders around here go in after every birthing to make sure nothing else is in there and almost none have reason to do antibiotics. It's a very gentle sweep, but it is usually done right away after the babies seem to be done coming out and the doe doesn't appear to be in continued labor. You do *not* want to help the placenta come out, as that could tear her internally.

As others have said, I would not worry if she passes the rest of the placenta fairly soon after birth. After more than an hour or so, I'd be on the phone with the vet to be sure.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would leave her be. What you are describing is perfectly natural.
I think way too many people are way to quick to assist in the birthing process and "go in" afterwards to double check when the does are showing no signs of distress. It's all for their own piece of mind, not in the goats best interest. If you have afterbirth and that fluid sack hanging out after, she's up moving around, feeding her kids, eating...she's done. What is the point of invading her and possibly causing infection or damage if mother nature is giving you the answers already?
As for not giving antibiotics after you do you go in, that is just a foolhardy risk. I've yet to see a barn that is 100% sanitary and gloved or not, a hand is a foreign object.
JMHO
Lois

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,274 Posts
This is one of those hot topics. Many opinions, strongly expressed, both sides, or all sides as the case may be.

Those with more experience will act differently, depending on said experience.

There is no single right answer.

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Has she passed it yet or is it still hanging out today?

Yeah, it's not the afterbirth I was worried about, I know what that looks like, just never saw the bag of amniotic fluid hanging out afterwards is all...

·
Registered
333 Posts
I kidded last year for the first time. I had this same thing and was tempted to pull it out. My neighbor advised me against it. (She has been raising sheep for over 30 years). She said to let the uterus contract and it will expel naturally. She told me if I pulled it and didn't allow the process to proceed naturally she could start bleeding. What the heck do I know. I'm still learning...but just thought I would add what my neighbor told me. Mine did, in fact, expel it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts