fishing worms are expensive!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dot, Jun 2, 2004.

1. dot

dot Well-Known Member

We've started going fishing this spring but the worms are costing 3 bucks a box and one place wanted 5. We tried digging for them but ended up with about 10 holes for 10 worms. :haha: Is there a simple way to keep your own worms and get them to reproduce? Should I start with bought worms or can I dig a few and get them going?

2. Try these methods:

1. In you have a creek on your property dig around on the banks. Look under piles of leave debris.

Or

2. Place large flat objects such as peices of tin, plywood, or old blankets on soft ground. Maybe sprinkle some cornmeal on the ground and then place the flat object over. In a few days you can lift the object and there will be worms and crickets underneath. Be careful cause there can be snakes too!

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Go to the archives, scroll down to vermiculture, major info there.

4. dot

dot Well-Known Member

Thanks alot!!

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My customers are still retailing their worms at $1.75 per 5 dozen cupped. I started out with 4 cups of purchased bait and 1 bin. Since that time I have ramped it up and scaled it back according to the compost needs I had and next quarter projections on bait sales. Here is a link to a decent cheap overhead cost cultivation bin.

http://www.whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/Easywormbin.htm

www.wormdigest.org has a decent forum of growers also.

6. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A good way to avoid buying worms is to use a yard trap.

My best yard trap is a round foam chip filled cushion salvaged from a wicker bowl shaped chair. I lay the 5 ft diameter cushion in the yard over a 1 inch layer of precomposted cow manure and keep the cushion moistened down. After a week , I can usually pick up 100 to 200 redworms from the manure and top two inches of soil.