Fishing in South America

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Homesteader at Heart, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Homesteader at Heart

Homesteader at Heart Well-Known Member

Hello from a US expatriate in Suriname, South America. Any fishermen out there? I enjoy fishing on accasion here, and have mostly caught peacock bass and piranha. Both are fun to catch. The peacock bass are good to eat...never tried a piranha. I was going to post some pictures but when I click on the insert image button it does not allow me to insert.

2. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

is you pictures at a host site?..like...photobucket??just copy the IMG and then paste it in message here.i would love to see some pic's of your area.

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Please do post pics. In the Amazon I caught some pirahna- and they were good eating. There are some huge creepy fish in there too, watch the toes.

4. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

i'd like to know a lot from your perspective. please post what you find down south! i might actually be one of your countrymen.

i always see peacock bass on the TV and dream of catching one someday. are they good fighters?

i'd love to have a report from the south.

5. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Please post pics of your catch! I spent some time in South America in the 80's and caught Piranha and ate them and they were delicious. They are a firm, white-fleshed fish and the big bones make them easy to eat when they're fried.

-Da Fonz

Here is a pic of a decent Northern I caught a while ago.

[​IMG]

6. Homesteader at Heart

Homesteader at Heart Well-Known Member

The pictures are saved on my computer. When I try to copy and paste them it does not work. When I click on the image button it does not work. Is there any way to get a picture in a post without it being on a website?

Yes, posifour11, the peacock bass are good fighters. I have not caught any big ones, but the small ones fight very hard. A lot of fun to catch and good eating.

Nice northern, Fonzie. How did you put the picture in your post?

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

homesteader,
    I hope you show us pictures of fish down there. What about Peacock Bass? Do you fish for those? Awesome critters, eh?

Nice northern pic, Fonzie.

I live in Canada, in the heart of some good fishing mostly for smallmouth bass, northern pike, walleye. My personal passion is the occasional outing for trophy muskellenge. Personal best on that so far is a 52 incher. I posted pictures of that already, so I don't want to over do it.

8. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Homesteader at Heart, since you have the pics saved to your computer that's half the battle!
    I am in no way computer literate, but if I were you I would go to www.photobucket.com and click on the "join now" icon. After you complete the joining process {easy} Photobucket will search your computer for pics and you can choose which ones to download to Photobucket which will then act as your free hosting service. When you want to post a pic here at HT make sure you copy the address at the bottom of your photo {from Photobucket}that has the "IMG" at both ends of it.

Then you can do this...

Nice Smallie. {sorry the pic is huge but HT does not size them automatically}

[​IMG]

Oh yeah I almost forgot, after you figure out the posting of pics routine, please post photos of more than just the fish you've caught. Plenty of folks here at HT like to see and discuss pictures of life in other countries.
    Welcome aboard!

-Da Fonz

9. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Only pic I have. My first pirahna, young one, border of Bolivia/Peru. That's not me in the pic, they were guides.