Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Wondering if anybody would be willing to share about the fishing and hunting in MO. In general where to hunt and fish and what to hunt and fish for.
Thanks,
thehoffs

·
In Remembrance
1,625 Posts
That is a pretty wide open question....
Fishing: We have several large (50,000 acre +) lakes Some mid-sized ones (10,000 acres plus) and hundreds of small lakes owned by the Conservation Commission plus untold thousands of privately owned ponds and lots of floatable rivers covering thousands of miles. There are bass (3 kinds), crappie, white bass, several species of sunfish and catfish, musky striped bass, and walleye. Take your pick.

Hunting: Quite a bit of conservation owned land and private land is still available. Much of the land around the lakes is owned by the Corps of Engineers and is open for hunting. No bear (huntable), Elk, moose, caribou or mule deer. Everything else I can think of has a season.

Many years ago the people of Missouri enacted a 1/8 cent sales tax dedicated entirely to the Conservation Commission. (legislators can't get their hands on it....Ticked them off no end.) Anyway DOC has done a lot of really neat things with the money. Bought large lands for hunting and fishing (1,000's of acres) opened fishing access points and lots more.

HTH....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Lots off good hunting and fishing. If you can't find a forrest you must be missing it for the trees :)

Google Mark Twain national forrest. We're in the ozarks region and lots of it around. Never been in the northern part of the state much but Lots here.

Some of my favorite areas for hunting are around Ava.

Fishing would be Stockton. Fellows lake is pretty good as well. All our lakes are man made but don't let that stop you.

Oh and theres Bennett springs and lake Taneycomo for trout...

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
We have lots of fishes and critters in the Ozarks. What area are you Hoffs looking to relocate to?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Landowners have big changes coming on the horizon. In the past, landowners of 5 acres or more didn't have to pay for tags. They could hunt deer and turkey on their own land by just applying for free tags. Now the state is upping the land requirements to 80 acres. Smaller landowners are simply fuming.

I can understand why the department of conservation wants to change the way landowners receive tags and such since the current system is being abused but they're not going about it the right way and they're inviting mass poaching and further contempt for the law.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
and just maybe the MDC is getting a bit greedy?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,625 Posts
Hi,
Wondering if anybody would be willing to share about the fishing and hunting in MO. In general where to hunt and fish and what to hunt and fish for.
Thanks,
thehoffs
In general where to hunt and fish

Everywhere.

what to hunt and fish for

Everything

Truth South part of the State there is all kinds of Public Hunting Land.Great many Lakes and rivers.

Hunting Normal Small Game mostly Rabbits Squirrels,birds Pheasants,Quail,turkey and Waterfowl.And Deer.

Fishing White,Largemouth,Smallmouth Bass,Trout,Musky,Spoonbill,All kinds of Catfish.

Like I say just about everything.

Here is a Link that will help
http://www.mdc.mo.gov/

big rockpile

1 - 7 of 7 Posts