fishing bait recipes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mrs_stuart, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hey, fellows and ladies too...I am interested in fishing bait recipes...I have looked on the web but i am interested in knowing if any of you all have a tried and true recipe for fishing bait. We will be trout fishing in the a.m. with the kids and wow, the price of trout fish bait is way out there and with the kids, i figure we will go through it. I am interested in trout right now but would love to hear about all recipes...Thanks so much.

Belinda

2. adofus

adofus Member

Sorry..have no idea how to make it, but wanted to say whatta neat idea :) Hope someone helps you, so I can learn too :)

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My dad used to make stink bait for cat fish. Don't remember what was in them except chicken liver.

4. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

My daddy always said a quarter stick of dynamite, brick and a match was the best recipe when he was a kid :haha:

5. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Shrek, I am pretty sure that they might frown upon that at the trout park that we are going to. (I would like to give that a try, just to really see the results though lol) :p

Belinda

6. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

When I lived in California there were a lot of people who used Velveeta cheese and small pieces of marshmallow. Most of the trout fished for there were "stocked" trout so I'm not sure of the effectiveness of these baits for "wild" trout. I seem to remember that they also used canned corn but this was frowned upon because there was a question as to whether the trout could digest it if they ingested any free kernels and would die later on.
    Bill

7. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Night cralwlers make a really good trout bait, can be had in most lawns with a flashlight and a quick jump..... a shovel can also be used but takes the fun out of the hunt..... you only need a piece of night crawler on the hook.

you can cut up pieces of marsh mallow, use food coloring, and a crushed clove of garlic, to achieve a product similar to uncle zekes stinky bait, not sure how long the food coloring will last but its worth a try.

I just got a large female salmon, and the eggs cured out nicely, now have about a quart of salmon eggs for various fishing outings.

A pice of yarn tied onto the hook here will work in a couple of spots, hunter orange on one river and a white yarn on another let it cover just beyond the curve of the hook.

once a fish is caught, you cut out the fish eyes, and you wontvbelieve the number of fish that will bite on that lonely eye on the end of the hook...ive caught fish on a tied fly, then switched to fisheyes for the rest of my backpacking meal more than once. and while not homemade, it is a bait that cannot be duplicated for catching the most fish.

William

8. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi, I don't think this would work for trout but when we ran out of minnows for crappie we would cut the side fin off of a fish we caught leaving a little of the meat on the fin when cutting. I guess it looks and smells like live bait.

9. Watched a fishin show the other day and this ole' boy opened up a can of corn and just started slinging corn in all directions around his anchored boat. Then he rigged up his line with more corn. He started catching them left and right. He also mentioned that he was out there about the same time every day, so I guess he had them trainned to the dinner bell.