Fisher cat??

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Firefly, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

A neighbotr told me a fisher cat (a type of weasel) has been seen in the area. I am careful of my cat, and the chickens are secure at night, but I never worried about the pigs at their size. I just measured Puerco and noticed he has two parallel deep scratches on his back about an inch apart and 6" long. If they were on the side of his leg I would figure it was from teh T post bumps, but they're in the middle of his back, and those bumps are 2" apart. Could it possibly be fisher scratches?! If you read this link you'll see they are suspected of preying on deer! :eek: Fishers kill porcupines by attacking the face, so I'm a little concerned. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

2. ginsengsally

ginsengsally Well-Known Member

I have no idea where wikipedia got that info, but I find it hard to believe that a fisher would go after a deer when there is so much other prey that are smaller or the same size as them (cats, small mammals, porcupine). I think your pigs are safe. Coyotes, dogs, or perhaps your pigs were roughousing as they often will.

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I would still be very cautious Firefly. Fishers are about as charming as a wolverine with PMS on a Full Moon, and they are not as small as some may think. I saw one once that as it crossed the road, it it took up almost a full lane from nose to tail. Just be careful.

4. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

If a fisher attacked your cat, you would know it... the cat would be dead.

We had a cat attacked by a fisher, our dog went to the resuce IMMEDIATELY and the cat still had a throat wound through to the trachea in the few seconds it took.

Fishers are fearless, will attack things much larger than they are (if they feel threatened), and generally tear up whatever they attack pretty badly.

R

5. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

After I thought it over I decided it was probably the pigs roughousing. The gilt is always mounting the barrow. LOL Thanks all!