Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hunting is my life
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my buddies called me up on my cell phone lastnight very very upset. I asked her what was wrong and she said I cleaned out my 2 gallon fish tank alone with putting in a new filter and all of my fish are dead. Now these are guppies and only guppies in that tank. I asked her did they put a new filter that had chemicals in water to help fight diease since it was spring water? She said nope nothing. She asked me would I think her new fish tank filter would do it and I replied back to her said I don't think so. She did stick her hand in clean water but I wouldn't think it would do it unless she had something on hand not suppose to be.

Do any of you have an ideas what may have happen?
I'm pretty smart on animals and such but this has been stumped. Her other tanks she cleaned the same day are ok but that one. :shrug:

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
if she cleaned the whole tank and replaced all of the filter media she probably got rid of all the good bacteria in the tank. Or she didn't treat the new water she put in. If it is city water it has chemicals in it that need t be treated. I'd be thinking along the lines of the tank basically being new though due to bacteria removal. It will have to cycle again. I cleaned my 75 once of a huge sword plant that was taking up 3/4ths of the tank and it had to re-cycle. oops just read that its spring water so not chloramine in the water. 2g is a pretty small tank and it wouldn't take much to upset the balance of it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
All the water temps need to be very nearly the same. The water she put them in while she cleaned the tank should have been treated and the same temp as what they came out of. Tank should be cleaned with no chemicals or soap or anything other than plain water and a razor blade if she needs to get stuck on stuff off. Then the new tank water should have been treated and the temp the same as the holding vessel. If she's going to get more fish I'd advise doing these things when setting up the new tank and then when cleaning it. Good Luck to her!

Just another thought...was the holding vessel put where it could have gotten too hot or too cold? Such as near a sunny window or near an A/C vent. That could kill them also.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
By spring water, do you mean bottled water? Could be depleted of oxygen. Do you mean from a in the ground? No oxygen. Do you mean above ground, outside? Probably had various bacteria and parasites that the fish were not able to handle all at once. If she is serious about keeping fish, even guppies, she needs at least a five gallon tank. When she replaces the water, she should only replace 20% a week, which would be one gallon for a five gallon tank. The new water should be, as stated by Debra in KS, close to the temp as what's in the tank. The water should be poured in slowly, making a little splash, to bring in as much air as possible.

·
Hunting is my life
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called today from a certain place an talked to my friend more about the fish she lost and she told me she didn't take all the water out plus the tank was for baby guppies not full grown. She has spring water and she also said that the water was the same temp as the other water she had in there. I talked to friends an other people of a shop an they said to me more likely she may had a few guppies was already sick an when she changed the water out the virus spread like wildfire to the other fish. She didn't need no type of treatment for the water since it is pure spring water with nothing in it.

Spring Water means underground spring.
She has had fish for years an this is her first time running into this problem. I will contact her again later tonight on the business cell phone when I get back to work an talk to her more.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
did she test the PH?
guppies tend to be delicate fish and can die with sudden change.
it could have been anything, and some spring water can contain chlorine, best to check the label.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts