Fish people.

Discussion in 'Hydroponics / Aquaponics' started by KandCfamilyfarm, Dec 15, 2017.

1. KandCfamilyfarm

KandCfamilyfarm Well-Known Member

Spring city Tennessee Dayton mountain Zone 6
    I want to set up a above ground pool with fish in it in that is a balance ecosystem so I can set it up and let it run with out messing with it. Is this possible and how? I live in zone 6.

2. secuono

secuono Well-Known Member

Crapton of plants, aquatic that are submerged and bog plants, good amount of shade, limited feed and don't overstock on fish. And luck.

KandCfamilyfarm likes this.

3. KandCfamilyfarm

What kind of fish tilapia, bass, catfish?

4. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I been really wanting to experiment with aquaphonics

5. KandCfamilyfarm

it works great with tomatoes I did it once under a 1000w hps

6. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I think this next summer I'm going to have to give it a try

7. rininger85

rininger85 Well-Known Member

What are your coldest temps and how long do they last? That will determine the fish you can use. Also on the flip side what is warmest in the summer? I raised rainbow trout last winter... blue tilapia this summer, now channel catfish and bluegill. The rainbow trout like cold water (mid 50's, but will survive close to freezing... they die at about 70F). Blue tilapia like warm water... grow best around 80F... die around 50F. The channel catfish and bluegill should be fine either season since they survive our local waters all seasons... although I'm not positive how high my water temp made it this summer... they might not like it at 80F because that is warmer than our local waters ever get.

So it all depends on what your temps are. As already noted to have a fully sustainable ecosystem would require a lot of plants to process waste. Most aquaculture is going to require some kind of filtration. Aquaponics works quite well for filtration depending on how many fish you want to use. If it is heavily stocked you would need mechanical filtration, grow beds won't keep up, they'll fill full of poo and overflow.

8. KandCfamilyfarm

I have seen it go as low as -15F on rare occasions and I want to say 110F I know it sounds nutty but I live on top of a mountain the winter time it gets nasty sometimes we get freezing fog which will drop a grown man I've seen it happen while cutting wood in the winter and the summer it feels like the sun is in your face. I have had 250 lb hogs just drop and die if the do not have proper shade but in all likeliness the hog probably die because we introduced a new male and I think he ran her to death when we were not home.

I have done aquaponics before and had great result its a great ideal but I was going to take the extra fish poo and build a filter to recover it so I could just shuvel it on the garden. The soil here is poor and lots of clay and mineral rock but that's it. No nitrates. The fish I would eat or feed to the hogs and cats. How do you get your fish all I have been ever to find is the pet store fish? Our feed store and co-ops dont carry fish here.

9. rininger85

With such large temperature difference you will either want to decide on doing two species like I did my first year, trout in the winter, tilapia in the summer, or you will want native fish that are used to the temps of both seasons, which is what I'm doing now.

I am running my system in what I had hoped would be a passive solar greenhouse. The north wall is lined with 55 gallon drums full of water, the greenhouse is designed so my southern glazing is at a 90 degree angle to the sun at winter solstice since it is when the sun is at its weakest. If the sun is at an angle other than 90 degrees some rays of sun hit the glass and bounce off. In the winter the sun heats the barrels which stores the heat in the water to stabilize the temps. In the summer the barrels are in the shade, therefore they are colder than the surrounding air so they help cool the air. I think in climates that have such drastic swings you need to have a similar setup to help level the temps out. Otherwise just plan on one species and do it for whatever your longer season is.

I got my trout from a trout farm that is about 30 miles from my house. The tilapia I ordered online, I got some from Tampa aquaculture and some from Lakeway tilapia. My catfish and bluegills and the perch I first started with (all died before my system was cycled) I got from a fish farm that does a "fish days" at co ops and farm stores around the state. They come to my co op twice a year spring and fall, they sell the fish as pond stock. My tilapia I am breeding myself now after I raised the first batch they became my broodstock.

10. KandCfamilyfarm

So it sounds like I need to just go fishing Sounds GREAT!! Work related fishing trip.

rininger85 likes this.
  11. rininger85

Where are you from? Might be able to help find fish.

12. rininger85

Lakeway tilapia is I'm Rutledge TN

13. KandCfamilyfarm

Spring city TN most the good fishing is right down stream of the watts bar dam.

14. rininger85

15. rininger85