Fish Killing a Pond?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ken Scharabok, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Has anyone ever fish killed a pond?

I allowed a neighbor commerical fisherman to put in some very large catfish and I think they are eating everything else in the pond. Have tried fishing them out without success due to the numerous turtles.

I have about a one-acre, spring-fed pond in which I can drain out about 2/3rds of the water volume. I can refill it in about a week by daming up a spring run and diverting water through the normal discharge pipe.

If you have done so, what procedures did you use?

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Would poison be an option?

3. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

I've seen people drain a pond to the level you described and then simply drag a tennis, or badminton net through it. If the fish are really heavy, you can tie the net between 2 four-wheelers and drag it along.

The main thing is to drag it slowly, and be ready to make several passes to get em all.

4. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Poisoning could really screw up your groundwater, and could cause problems in ways not expected.
    It isn't illegal as far as I know. How about contacting your county agricultural agent? Good luck.

5. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

I was the dummy who put 2 little catfish in our pond about 7 years ago... 18lbs later and who knows how many babies later, I started to wonder when it would all stop...lol.

I used to use floating fish food. Once the catfish understood the noise of the food hitting the water meant it was dinner time, I could go back and bowfish or gig them anytime I wanted. If they're over 10lbs or so, DON't use a frog gig, use something bigger. There's nothing more embarassing than watching the catfish you just gigged swimming off with your busted gig sticking out of it's back... That one was a bit bigger than 10lbs though.

Wherever you want the fish to be, feed them there for a week or two and they'll come every time.

6. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

we had a catfish problem too. we tossed old bread in from a rowboat and when the came up we shot them with a 410 shotgun. they float after that and you can net them.

7. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

gert the turtles.....everything has a place and balance.....to many snapping turtles can crash your fish population....I used to hunt them with a rifle

8. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Rotenone is often used for killing fish and is labeled for such. Here is a Clemson article on it.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1713.htm

I thought I remember that the fish could be eaten, but the article says no according to the label.

9. texican

texican Well-Known Member

It's not *wise* to put either blues (high fin blues) or yellow (opelousas) cats in any pond, as they'll eat everything including all of the other catfish... and they don't stop growing. Eventually, there'll only be a few monster cats.

Channel catfish arent that much of a problem.

You can hand fish them the big cats out, with a rod and reel, or use a trotline. Properly baited hooks will catch the turtles too...what you do with em after you catch them is up to you. The larger the catfish, the larger the bait you'll need. My pa use to use whole 1lb fish for bait when he was trying to catch monster cats.

An uncle was a commercial fish farmer. He routinely rotenoned his ponds after a few years. The trash fish would start consuming more and more feed. According to the label, the rotenone dissipates, and is non toxic. You can eat the fish that have been rotenoned.

good luck...

o, or you could let some poor folks try and 'fish it out'... of course you have to let them know it's a one time only affair... some folks think permission is forever...

10. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

crushed horse chestnuts in a burlap bag will kill the fish & they can still be eaten.

11. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

Crushed green walnut hulls will do it, too.

12. A cousing of mine bought a peice of property that had a spring fed pond about the size of an acre. What he done was borrowed a big water pump and pumped the whole thing dry enough to where he could go around and picked up all the fish he could find. After the water level got back to level he restocked the pond with the type of fish he wanted.

13. Ken Scharabok

A definite possibility. Hadn't thought of that approach. Pond has one deep hole in one end.

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

they electro shock em here. they had to drain a lake nearby and lowered electrodes into the warer and set it off.. the fish all leapt out of the water and were stunned-floaters.
    scooped em up and tanked them all and finished draining the lake.

15. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

I have seen it done several times. Invite the neighbors to help harvest the fish. Have a fish fry and then devide up the fish between everyone. Thats the way we all did it. There is some thing you can get from the feed store, I don't recall what it was, that would remove all the oxygen from the water and the fish would come up and gulp for air. Then you use the dip nets. Ask your extension agent. Or, perhaps someone here knows what the substance is.

16. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I wouldn't poison or leave it dry for any length of time, for no amount of money if its an older pond.Its to hard to get nature moving along again. ;)
    Are you sure they are eating all the other fish? If your basing that on how many fish you are catching right now, it might be more to do with the water temps being low.Ive never had any luck fishing ponds in winter.

I seriously dought that big cats do any real harm to small ponds.But I'm sure there not helping to much either.Yes theres a chance they might spawn and then you'll have nothing but a cat fish pond.But theres also a chance they might not.
    Theres three ponds that come to mind that i used to fish as a kid and one i still do fish.
    One 1/4 acer pond turned out two channel cats.From 6 to 10 pounds. There where tons of little fish but very few nice ones.After a year of eating anything that would fit between a biscuit it was fixed.Nice fat four pound bass and gills the size of your hand last i fished it.Pond was about 6 ft deep.
    Second pond was about 3/4 of an acer and also around 6ft deep.A friend and myself pulled out three cats one night from 8 to around 16 pounds (one channel and two blues).They where released back into the pond.Another friend caught a 6 pounder one day.That was then and still is the best pond Ive ever fished.It has turned out several 6 pound bass with larger ones seen often also has monster gills.The crappie are all small but thats what happens to crappie in small ponds.Half if not all need to be removed.
    Third pond is about 1 acer.It is around 15ft deep in one place.It has nice 8lb bass and gills.We have pulled both type cats from it from the 6 to 20 pound range and broke line on one bigger.Probably have taken about 10 catfish total out of it over time.
    Things kinda puzzle me about all three ponds though.None ever turned out any cats smaller than 6 pounds.(For some reason they where not spawning,maybe all female?)And no cats that we brought home to eat ever had anything other than moss and some small snails in there stomachs,yet they where all very fat and healthy.Thinking they eat the moss to gets the snails.(yes i check the stomachs of any large fish i bring home to eat,to see what they been eating) :D

At any rate they can be caught it just takes a lot of time waiting to get bit.
    You might try leaving a rod out tied to something with the drag set light.Use a hook small enough to be swallowed with bait like bacon or chicken parts that cant be stolen easily by little fish.Works great for turtles to_Or run a trot line across it.

Warning large pond catfish taste like chicken! :D

17. Ken Scharabok

Hummm, matter become somewhat more complicated.

Neighbor's son has been fishing a fair bit last couple of days. Went down and ask if he was catching anything. Report was almost no panfish and no catfish, but some large mouth bass approaching wall hanger size.

We have two health care/nursing homes in county. Will see if any of their residents are interested in coming fishing on a limited basis with a rule they have to take all catfish and bass over say 12" in length. Rest will be catch and release.

18. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Texican knows what he's talkin' about.If you want to start over,dynamite will do the trick.Our local fash and game department is a valuable resource for this kind of stuff,and even helps out on the cost of re-stocking.Around here,for small,Non-springfed ponds,channel cats and hybrid bream work out very well.Some folks use a few largemouths to keep the population in check,but the technique is often debated.Folks here are as opinionated about their pnd management as they are about how they take their grits.

19. dixiedoodle

dixiedoodle Well-Known Member

Turtles are a breazze!! Shoot those suckers :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: If you can,t get rid of the fish. Pour kerosene in there. That will rid you!!!

20. slowsuki1

slowsuki1 Well-Known Member

if you have lots of snapping turtles that veary well might be the problum. not cat fish.