Fish found with male-female tissue.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nan(TX), Oct 4, 2004.

1. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

The oddest part of this disturbing article is “commonly used detergents”. One more thing to ponder on.

Fish Near Some Colorado Treatment Plants Found With Male-Female Tissue
    The Associated Press
    Published: Oct 3, 2004

DENVER (AP) - Fish with both male and female sex tissue have been discovered near Colorado wastewater treatment plants on the South Platte River and Boulder Creek.
    Scientists are trying to determine if chemicals that disrupt hormones, such as estrogen, are responsible for the gender-bending phenomenon.

Colorado biologist John Woodling discovered the deformed white suckers about two years ago near two wastewater discharge pipes. Female fish also far outnumber the male fish near the plants.

"This is the first thing that I've seen as a scientist that really scared me," said Woodling, 58, a retired fisheries biologist with the Colorado Division of Wildlife who is now working with the University of Colorado.

Scientists haven't pinpointed which chemicals might be causing the deformities, but endocrine disrupters that mimic or disrupt hormones, especially estrogen, are a leading suspect.
    Such chemicals are believed to come from excreted birth-control hormones, natural female hormones and commonly used detergents that are flushed down toilets and drains.
    "We're all concerned about it," said Barbara Biggs, Metro Wastewater Reclamation District's governmental officer. "We don't want to leap to any conclusions yet. There are a lot of estrogen sources in the environment."

Over the last 10 years, scientists have documented the impact of endocrine disrupters on everything from British trout to alligators and polar bears. Little research has been done, however, on the effects of chronic low-dose estrogen exposure on humans.
    http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB33ZRVVZD.html

2. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

This is one of those issues where, while disturbing, it is best not to get too concerned just yet. Is has been long established that hermaphrodism does occur naturally in many fish. There are also many natural plant and animal sources of estrogen and estrogen mimics that can cause this.

Concentrations of hermaphrodite or sexually reversed fish were first noted in Britain a number of years ago, then northern Europe, then the US. Within the last few years a number of sexually reversed salmon were found in Washington. The science has found evidence for many different causes, which may indicate that there are many different causes or may indicate that there hasn't been enough research yet.

The classic cause of sexual development problems in fish is DDT. The recent research has pointed to excreted synthetic human hormones as a likely cause, but those were laboratory tests, which are very good at showing individual causes, but not so good at predicting their effects in the environment.

The big question I suppose is, are hermaphrodite fish just as tasty as other fish. Since I'm a vegetarian, I'll wait to hear the results of the taste test from one of you ;).

-Bill

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

They prob taste like Tide, with bleach.

4. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Thanks - I needed a good laugh!

-Bill

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

They found a fish with 5 eyes or something by Mr. Burnses Nuclear Plant on the Simpsons,I think I see a connection here? :eek:
    Maybe not.... :rolleyes:

Seriously,all the pharmacueticals showing up in rivers and such Is not a good thing,no matter what the studies may say,it cant be a good thing.
    BooBoo