·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a catalog from "pbsanimalhealth" and it has the following:

amoxicillin (60 caps) for $18.95
penicilin (60 cabs) for $24.95
cephalexin (60 caps) for $24.95

Are these good buys? (I'm calling them today to find out if there is any "additives" in these capsules; however, the ad states only that there is 250 mg of each type of the above in each capsule. It does not mention additives.)

Reactions: nehimama

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I order these "fish" antibiotics, can they be stored for any length of time; and if so, how?

Reactions: nehimama

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
They should have an expiration date and storage info on the package. Standard for most meds is cool, dark, dry area.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
If I order these "fish" antibiotics, can they be stored for any length of time; and if so, how?
I vacuum seal the bottles and put them in the freezer. Not sure how effective that is, but it's what I do.

Reactions: partndn

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does freezing them break the bottles or cause the antibiotic to not be any good?

·
Joie de vivre!
2,847 Posts
Many antibiotics are safe beyond expiration dates, except the tetracyclines, which are NOT safe after the expiration date. (Can lead to kidney damage.)

Some chemicals are affected by temperature extremes, so I store all of my antibiotics as per manufacturer's recommendations: cool, dark and dry...as in cool room temperature, away from sunlight, and kept dry (glass containers are great, as they do not allow moisture to permeate).

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is also bird biotic. And you can sometimes find Doxycycline and others online as well from some individuals with small animal (rats) supply websites. Look for places that sell hammocks and Harland Teklad lab blocks.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
those are not good buys if comparing to drug store prices. those 3 meds are on the low price list for most pharmacies that offer such plans. you can get those meds usually for under $10.00. now if your angle is to buy antibiotics without going through a doctor or pharmacy then have at it. make sure you read all the ingredients including inactive ones.
something else to look at is the dose.
human adult dose amoxicillin is 1500mg/day
penicillin dose is 250-500mg four times a day
cephalexin is 500mg three times a day.
plan on 10 day therapy for each one.

keith

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Russ. Hope all is well with you. Thanks for the urls. Will take a look at those.

Cajun that is information I needed. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like stockpiling tetracyclines would not be wise...hmmm seems I read somewhere this antibiotic could be purchased in "powdered" form. If I'm remembering correctly, this powder could probably be frozen without problems. Yes, I remember these need a cool, dark, dry place stored in glass. Thanks for the reminder.

AHGoodwin, I have not heard about using "bird biotics" on humans. Might be wise to find out more about these.

Secuono, yes I've purchased the Pen-G at Tractor Supply for my goats. Just never even thought about using it on myself.

keith, I do understand purchasing these fish antibiotics this way would be more costly than pharmacy prices; however, if you're very familiar with your own body and are willing to take the risks (without consulting a physician), it is less costly in the long run. Yes, I'm careful about what "extra" ingredients might be in them; and your stating the daily dosage amounts is quite helpful.

I'm putting all this information you kind people are sharing in my records book . I'm very grateful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts