First year on new homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deberosa, Aug 29, 2004.

1. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Thought I would create an album showing how my place has changed in the first year and share it with you all. Info on this sight has helped me through many questions from what color to paint my house to what tractor to buy (I got a small Kubota lawn tractor).

The worst of the overgrowth is cleared and the farmyard is alive with poultry. I am loving my new life.

This is an Aol album - it will take a moment or two to load, will look at first like it is not working....

Deberosa after one year

Seems like I don't get much done until I compare pictures like this!

2. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Ohhh very cool, but when I click on the link I just get a sign in page. I'd love to see the pics though!

Deb

3. deberosa

Give it a moment and it should start loading. It doesn't take long once it starts to load. I need to find a better way to link pictures!

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

5. deberosa

OK, I changed the link in the first post and tested it in IE. As long as cookies are enabled it should work! Sorry for messing it up!

6. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

You have done well.

7. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Wow, you have done a great job! I like the barn, it looks like you unburied it and now you can see it. You've got quite the collection of animals already.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Deb

8. deberosa

I did unbury the barn. It was so overgrown with blackberries that I could only get into it from the lean to in the picture. I did not even know I had the attached hen house until a month after I moved in!

The animals just started showing up and they are so much fun!

9. savingup

savingup Active Member

What a great place you have! You have done a LOT of work in just a year. You go girl! And Floyd is beautiful!

10. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

Great place and a lot of progress in a short time. The charm of the place showed in the "day of sale" pictures. Makes me understand why you purchased it. Looks like some good big timber in the barn. If you are like most of us, planned projects make a long list and there will always be improvments to make....Keep up the good work....Glen

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Very sloww download on dialup.Worth the wait,youve really done well!
    BooBoo

12. Timedess

Timedess Guest

ooohhhh, thanks soooooo much for posting your pics! gives wanna-be folks like me hope!!!!! :D lovely place. i want peacocks! :haha:

timedess

13. deberosa

Yes this place had been on the market almost a year and vacant. The former owner was an elderly lady who went blind and could no longer stay there. The yard art was mostly in place and I told them not to bother cleaning a thing - I got it $20,000 less than asking price. The well has the best water I've ever had and lots of it. The barn is solid - needs a new roof, I have a big tarp I am going to put on for short term, then work on fixing it. The loft is a bit soft because of the leaks in the roof so I am going to take the rotten boards out and replace them, or leave it open haven't decided for sure. Dozens of people looked at this place and rejected it! I got very very very lucky to find such a treasure so close to my work.

14. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I love the "before" and "after" photos! Really shows how much work you've done in a year!