Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just planted asparagus this year, about 3 weeks ago and they are starting to come up now, so before the ground freezes in about 10 - 12 weeks what do I do with the asparagus? Just let them grow and die off or cut off the shoots before the ground freezes? I understand I can't eat them the first year, is this right? But, then they probably won't amount to much anyways this year. Hope you can help, thanks Chris

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Let them grow and die off, then you can cut the ferny growth down to the ground. Next year only eat them for a couple weeks, then let them go to seed. The year after that you can eat them for a longer period of time before you let them go to seed.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,779 Posts
You let them grow, and eventually, they look like ferns. The 'leaf' area nourishes the roots. Cut them back in the winter. Mulch heavily.

Look forward to next spring!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I usually leave the ferns on the plants to help hold in the snow to insulate the crowns during the winter. I mow the ferns in the spring before the shoots come up. Lightly fertilize after the ferns are cut in the spring. Cut any sprouts that are bigger than a pencil the first year. Leave everything else to supply the young roots with nourishment. You probably will not get anything the first year or two but it will be worth it to wait. Good luck.
Linda

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.