First winter blizzard?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Dec 20, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Well woke up to about four inches, and its still coming, blowing like crazy, anyone in Minnesota getting whacked?

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We already had about 5 inches on the ground from last week. Last night, it snowed another inch or so.

3. jackie c

Are you guys close to the big lake, I get alot of snow effect from it, have about 1 1/2 foot on the ground now.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

\

I know we are going to get a lot of snow today because the wind is blowing it in from jackie's direction from the south west up here. :haha:
    There is only about 3" on the ground now, but that is to change by tomorrow.
    Snowshoes are ready. :yeeha:

5. Cheri in NY

Cheri in NY Well-Known Member

Okay, here in upstate NY this AM is -3 with a wind chill factore of -20, about 3 inches of snow and ice. The temp has actually gone down since I got up at 5:30.

6. jejabean

jejabean Well-Known Member

No snow...but it is -5 here at the moment! Brrrr.

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

No, we live between Crosslake and Emily Minnesota...out in the sticks on 40 acres.

8. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I don't want to be a spoiled sport, but we are shooting for 58º to 60º today for south central Kansas---BEFORE it drops to 5º and 6º on Wednesday and Thursday.

Looks like this will be the day to do some welding and some last painting before spring.

There is also a slight chance for a white Christmas.

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

It got down to the 20's here last night and tonight may be even colder. I had to buy a bale of hay to put in the poultry pens. I covered all the pens with tarps. We haven't yet let the youngest chicks out this morning. We're hoping things will warm up after the sun has been out a bit longer. The wind is the culprit here. It is making it feel twice as cold. We aren't used to suffering with the cold here. Take it back up north...please!

10. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

I agree with Jan, TAKE IT BACK !!!!. It was 5 degrees above 0 this morning and with the wind howling it was supposed to feel like -14. No snow but I have no clue how you do chores in this kind of weather without freezing to death. We keep running in and warming up by the woodstove. Thankfully it's supposed to get up to the 50's by Wednesday.

Y'all up north are crazy- Laura Lynn

11. jackie c

Stay warm, not hard when there's 6" of snow on the ground(now) and shovel it by hand(to stay in shape), I have to come in and strip down, change out of the sweat soaked cloths. I 'd rather do this than have the threat of hurricanes or tornados hanging over my head. Not too many people here lose all they've worked so hard for in a fleeting moment from the violent storms you all, in milder climates get.

12. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

Not much to mention in northern Nevada. It is cold enough to snow, getting down to the teens at night, but no moisture to speak of. We have had a few good snows here already this year, but snow is not in the forecast for the next week. Most of the snow has melted-off already.

I went up to Lamoille Canyon (Ruby Mountains) yesterday to see the snow. The road was closed at the snow line for snowmobilers so I didn't get far. The wildlife is keeping away due to the snowmobile noise, but I did see some Big Horns and two goats from a distance.

13. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

We cant get any snow here in montana even if we bribe it!

14. jackie c

You can have some of mine,sisterpine. Ugg, my arms feel like rubber and its still snowing! I've had at least 10 inches so far. Thank goodness its light fluffy stuff at least compared to the last snowfall. Going to make for some awesome sledding :dance:

15. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Looks like a green Christmas here this year, that's OK with me - last year was was snowing and in the teens!

16. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Im in sou. Ind and the nat'l weather service people have announced a storm comming our way...tonight or tomorrow...so I guess we'll have to see. Its a bad time to not have that freakin stove hooked up yet, LOL.

17. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

It has been barely 24 hours since I posted that no snow would fall in northern Nevada any time soon. True to form, it started snowing here about an hour ago.

I swear, sometimes it seems like a conspiracy just to prove me wrong, and now it appears that the national weather service is in on the conspiracy!