First week with Staber washer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Coloradosteader, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Coloradosteader

Coloradosteader Active Member

Hi all,
    Just thought I would share my experiences with our new washer. I purchased the base model from Staber.com for $1200.00 delivered. I'm up in the rockies a bit, so I was impressed the delivery guy found us and had no problem with the delivery.
    The washer is a top load, but has a stainless closable drum that spins like crazy. It uses 1/6th the detergent we used to and it uses 50% less electricity. The water consumption is like 15gal per load, an agitator washer uses 45gal per load! We use Sun and Earth detergent with orange oil and the clothes come out cleaner than a conventional washer.
    If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. We plan on moving this to our homestead once it's built and have it on 100% solar. Like they say, for every dollar you spend in efficiency you save 3 dollars in your array cost.

Just FYI

Coloradosteader

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

It's a shame Stabers aren't more well known. From what I've read they're designed to be repaired by the owner. While the price might deter some folks, the benefits make it worth the cost. The fancy crap the big name makers put out with more and more electronics is going to be costly to repair down the road.

I can't believe it's hard to find a window air conditioner without a remote control. Something else to go bad. Someone out there has probably already proposed building a washer and dryer with a remote control. For folks who want a well built and efficient washing machine, they'll never regret buying a Staber.

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Oh wow, *gives retailers a stupid look*

This would be a good product for Sears to carry, it is a shame I got to buy DIRECT from the manufacturer. :(

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a front loader. The same basic premise. I would have liked to have the same thing, but top loading, like your Staber. Mine cost $100 more than the same model in a standard top loading format, but much cheaper than the Neptune. If only the store had been selling a Staber, I probably would have bought it.

5. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

At 0.04 cents per gallon, our most expensive rate (before volume discount kicks in), that difference in water consumption is 1.2 cents per load. At one load per day that's $4.68 savings per year. Our standard Whirlpool or Hotpoint washers each cost new $900.00 less than the Staber washer.
    Recovery of that difference in price would take over 180 years, exluding loss of interests.

6. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

The savings on water won't interest many unless you're on a well. Then a Staber may make a real differance if you're in a drought. During the last drought a Staber might have saved me the cost of drilling a new well. In that case the payback would have been immediate plus interest. The electricity savings should make a difference whether you're on or off grid and should be factored into your cost savings.

For those on a septic system without a gray water setup, a Staber would extend the life of the septic system in certain conditions by eliminating a significant amount of the water the drain field has to handle.

Obviously the payback depends on the family and location.

7. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

on the stabers can you do like my grandma does, she uses the same water for serval loads of laundry, just drains the water into a tub, then pours it in the next load....?

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I think anything that leaves a smaller footprint on the planet is a good thing.Its a Staber for us when the time comes.Plus made in the USA.Plus user friendly serviceability.Less power,water and detergent use.APPROVED for offgrid service.No transmission.Im sold,completely.

Look at their website,really good info on what its all about,some download videos,cost savings numbers.It is a machine that turns the notion of a washer on its ear.

http://staber.com/

BooBoo :)

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Lucky You! WTG. :happy:

BooBoo