Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preliminary reports on CNN this am state a health care worker who cared for Mr. Duncan has tested positive for the Ebola virus. No word yet on whether this was someone who cared for him on his first ER visit, when they sent him home, or if it happened during hospitalization, or in some other capacity (ambulance, maybe?).

How does this change your prep priorities?

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this. I picked up an extra gallon of bleach the other day and some surgical face masks. Although I don't know that the face masks will do much good for ebola, but they were on sale.

Reactions: terri9630

·
Registered
152 Posts
If I am understanding it correctly, the Public Health Dept of Texas did the first test which was positive. They will say 'officially confirmed' if the second test,which was done by the CDC, is positive. I have not seen anything saying if both departments do the same test - but I have not read about more than one test being available. Sounds to me like a double check.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this. I picked up an extra gallon of bleach the other day and some surgical face masks. Although I don't know that the face masks will do much good for ebola, but they were on sale.

The masks 'should' do the trick, based on what they are saying about contact precautions. But this person was supposedly in full hazmat gear.

As a nurse, the contact precautions protective gear I wear looks NOTHING like a hazmat suit. I will feel more confident in what the officials are saying if they stop treating this as a hazmat situation and describing it as a contact precautions situation.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Being that she got this the second time he came in, when they were in their gear, is concerning. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point except get a few more suits, masks and goggles. I intend on isolating if it gets to Wyoming or southern Montana. What is your quarantine parameters? Your state? 100 miles, etc.?

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Being that she got this the second time he came in, when they were in their gear, is concerning. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point except get a few more suits, masks and goggles. I intend on isolating if it gets to Wyoming or southern Montana. What is your quarantine parameters? Your state? 100 miles, etc.?
Here's what's bothering me ...

If she, being a medical professional in the best quality gear the hospital system could provide, contracted ebola by now ...

What do you think happened to the family who was living with Duncan who had no protective gear at all?

They're in an isolated, undisclosed location with no contact with either the media or Jesse Jackson. I keep thinking of the character "Stu" from "The Stand".

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
I want to know how that family is that he was staying with...As sick as he was.. and they had no protection. i would have to say they all passed away already or are sick.. Yes i am jumping to conclusions... but it just makes no sense to me that the nurse is ill and they wouldn't be.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
I am sorry i didn't answer the question.... we are getting more water and food as we can afford too.. having to order mask .. there are none left in our town they sell out as soon as they come in.Also still canning up stuff and praying.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I want to know how that family is that he was staying with...As sick as he was.. and they had no protection. i would have to say they all passed away already or are sick.. Yes i am jumping to conclusions... but it just makes no sense to me that the nurse is ill and they wouldn't be.
1. They are sick and it's not being disclosed from the secret government bunker where they're being held.

2. They did not get sick because of some natural immunity the woman has (and passed on to her children).

3. God.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
last I heard was the nurse did not take precautions when taking off her protective gear. ANd yep I was wondering about the family and women that was sharing a bed ? I dont get it. But maybe if they are all African from Africa as in not african american maybe you do have an antibody working for you. But really do think they need to put all travelers in 21 day holding ut that should have happened day one I think it spread to far to do that now.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, suspected case in Boston being reported, but no details yet.

As Ernie stated, a false positive test is rare....false negatives while the viral load is building in the host is common, but a positive is a positive. Because there is no such thing as an absolute, they'll repeat the test, but you can pretty much be assured that the nurse that presented with a low grade fever and then tested positive really has it.

Contact precautions are NOT adequate for Ebola. A cough or a sneeze is going to spread virus, so a bare minimum of contact/droplet/face shield is necessary. I know if I were going in to treat an Ebola patient, I'd want a partner to monitor me and full hazmat gear.

I asked what changes this might make for any of you, but didn't answer it myself...guess I should. I'm headed for the feed store today to load up on extra chicken and horse feed, bicarb of soda, and whole corn or cracked corn if I can't get whole. I'll also take along my extra propane tanks to fill or top off. One of my bigger tanks has the old style valve, so I'll have to be selective who I ask to fill it and where I have it filled. May have to ask some friends that have a wet leg on their big tank. Depending on the price, I may also get plastic sheeting and extra duct tape today. If it is too expensive locally, it'll have to wait for my town trip.

Town trip this week will include topping off diesel and gasoline stores (will treat with Pri), buying bulk stores of rice, beans (don't like them myself, but will eat them if forced to do so, and can give to others), and popcorn, plastic and duct tape if I don't get them today, more bleach, bleach tabs or pool bleach, and taking in printer ink cartridges for refills (for printing out info for binders). I know there's more I'm not thinking of right now that is on my shopping list, but the main point is that I'm becoming more proactive in stocking for staying isolated, possibly without grid power, for a long period of time.

At home, I'm filling every available water barrel and tote with potable water, cutting and stacking more firewood, and doing barn and shed repairs. I'm also talking to my son about finally wiring the diesel generator for running the well. Everything else can be run on it as is, at least enough to keep the freezers and fridge cold and a few other lights and appliances, but I need wiring run to the pump house.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
last I heard was the nurse did not take precautions when taking off her protective gear. ANd yep I was wondering about the family and women that was sharing a bed ? I dont get it. But maybe if they are all African from Africa as in not african american maybe you do have an antibody working for you. But really do think they need to put all travelers in 21 day holding ut that should have happened day one I think it spread to far to do that now.
The CDC is saying that the nurse "must have made a mistake" because that's the only way transmission could have occurred. The nurse hasn't said anything. So they are blaming the nurse (and the hospital) without taking into consideration any other options.

The nurse in Spain said (and it sounded like after health officials talked to her quite a bit) that she may have inadvertently touched her forehead with a glove.

I'm concerned they're playing "blame the nurse" so no one panics.

But if Sam's Clubs around Dallas are out of bleach and other supplies, sounds like more than your average prepper is concerned!

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also feel like they are "blaming" the health care workers for getting Ebola...the nurse's assistant in Spain, the nurse in Dallas...but are they really following the protocols of having a buddy system for suiting up and more importantly, removing the gear without accidentally contaminating themselves. Are they providing adequate isolation gear for the workers? It just seems so wrong to throw blame on the very people who are putting their lives on the line. As an RN, I find it offensive. :(

Oh, has anyone else caught that they are assuming the nurse was a woman? ;) I have a lot of RN friends, both male and female, and a larger percentage of the male RNs are either ED or ICU nurses than floor nurses. Since no one has identified the nurse, it would be quite possible that "she" is actually a "he"!

I heard a quick blip this morning about a possible Ebola case in Boston. Haven't heard anything further.

For now, about all I feel I can do is just increase my preparedness to isolate ourselves on the homestead. I made a trip to the feed store today, and have a major stock up trip planned for town on Tuesday. I have a few more things to buy to fill some holes, and want to increase the amounts of some of my other stores. If I can stay put at home long-term, we can wait out an epidemic.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts