First Toggie baby for 06

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Shazza, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

:) Our first Toggie baby has just been born...a buck....but a polled buck :)
    He was a twin...the other little buck born second was not right. His front legs were all twisted and deformed...so he went to God. :angel: I couldnt get him breathing.
    So this is the doe that was 7 days overdue today and I am still waiting for the first due doe to have her babies...she is now 10 days over.
    Fingers crossed for healthy babies now...was for does before this birth, but as long as they are alive I am not fussed.

Cheers

2. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Pictures :p ? Yay for a happy healthy baby :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: [strongbad :banana02: !!! Sorry about the other little one :Bawling: . It is so hard when that happens.

MotherClucker

3. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Just curious- how can you tell so soon that he is polled? The only way I have been able to tell is to wait a week to see if horn buds start. And is polled common in Toggs? We have a polled togg buck who has given us some lovely polled mixed-breed babies.

4. Shazza

Our buck is poll too...he gave us 50/50 last year. Polled babies have a different head shape, I have found. When a horned kid is born you can feel the bumps where the horn buds will be but a poll kid will have no bump at all, smooth head.
    Do you keep a horned buck to go over your poll does??

5. Shazza

Oh and Polled goats are not common here and are sort after....so Rosnasharn Washington aka George will definately be snapped up to be a stud buck....but I will see how he turns out, I might show him this year.

6. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I've heard polled kids have a single whorl hair pattern on their brows, and horned kids have a double whorl with horn buds at the centers.

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Congratulations but you know better. :nono: where are the pictures?

8. Shazza

We really are having a busy weekend....it is my daughter number two's 21st birthday party tonight. So the big oven is on and going...marquee up...and Petulas baby twin girls were born this morning....wahooooooo. And one is Poll and one is horned. I dont know about the hair twirling, but I can easily feel tiny buds on one and a smooth head on the other. One looks like the buck of Phils born yesterday and the other like her daughter last year..the poll one. They are all really lovely and if I didnt have a 21st to cluck and fuss and boss over I would have pics up already...so you will have to wait till Monday cos tommorrow I am likely to have a hangover. Cheers.