First timer....

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Maddiequus, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Maddiequus

Maddiequus Farm Goddess

I recently heard that you need a different type of pig for bacon than you do for ham. If this is true, what do you do with the rest of the pig? My dad had pigs but I've always been a little afraid of them. I was planning to keep just one, but it sounds like I might need two? Any suggestions on breed? Thanks!

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

You can get both ham and bacon from one hog. The bacon comes from the side of a hog, so a longer hog will have more bacon. One hog may have larger, more pronounced hams than another, but all hogs have hams. Hogs like company, so the feeder pigs tend to do better when there are two or more of them than when they are raised alone, but it's not absolutely necessary. You can raise one alone without any problems. If you're raising them for the freezer, I wouldn't worry too much about breed. Buy whatever you can find locally. I'm sure someone within driving distance has some decent hogs that you can get a couple of feeder pigs from.

3. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

You are probably referring to the Old style of pigs? Throughout the years and up until probably the 40's or 50's hogs were either classified as "Bacon" (meat) breeds or "Lard" breeds. When you look at old pictures of lard breeds you may not immediately recognize them as pigs! They look like cartoon caricatures of themselves. The are as deep as they are long and you can really see the Lard! Nowadays, there are not any Lard type pigs left. Even the breeds that were considered Lard breeds are more like the bacon breeds...leaner and longer with not nearly as much fat covering. If I missed the pitch, Tyusclan has your answer.

4. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

Years ago we raised the guinea hog for lard. Hamps and duroc for meat. You could fatten a guinea hog on what would starve any other hog.

5. Maddiequus

Maddiequus Farm Goddess

Thanks! You're all very helpful. :) I really like the Large Blacks and Poland Chinas. I agree, it probably doesn't matter if I'm just raising one to butcher, but if I found a breed I liked I could do one every year right? Breed a sow and then sell the piglets at auction, maybe keep one or two. I don't want mass production or anything but I know family and friends wouldn't mind some pork in the freezer. :p My dogs have never met pigs before. I have poultry and horses and they've been around cows as well. I was hoping to let the pigs forage - healthier for them and for my farmyard - but I'm concerned about swine/canine fights. Does this happen a lot? I've heard of dogs having legs broken etc. by penned pigs and I'm hoping it's breed/territory related.