First time trimming the boer herd yippee!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Nov 10, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Well today I took the plunge and trimmed the boers. I've trimmed a few here and there but today got the group together and trimmed all the ones that hadn't had it done minus the buck. He wasn't too happy being drug away from his girls but he lived. HAHA! But I trimmed 12 of them and the only thing that didn't fare well was my back. GOTTA BUILD A CHUTE SYSTEM!!! HAHA!! One of them that sits up off the ground and you don't have to lean over. But I did really well and if I had thought of it would have wormed too but didn't think about it till half way done.....dummy :rolleyes: But still that was nice..... knowing I could do it by myself. I got em in a small pen and started grabbing horns and putting the halter on, draggin em to our cattle headgate and tied em up in it and went to work. Hands aint even sore but I only did 12 of them as I'd already done a couple of them.
    But I just wanted to brag as DH could really have cared less and I was excited I was able to do it and knew you all might find it a neat thought....lol!!
    See ya all!!

2. dap

dap lilsparrow

Good for you!! Yes, I love it when I can manage things by myself too. Independance~its a GOOD thing! :dance: I did my doe tonight on the milkstation. I haven't attempted my buck yet though. I'm gonna have to get him SOON!! :rolleyes:

3. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Bet your legs are feeling it now!

4. allenslabs

miserably! haha! I think that most things on me ache but at least I got it done!! HAHA!!

5. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

I trim mine by myself (except the big bucks).It is easier with two though.I am lucky if I get through about three a day, my back gives out.Some are easier than others.I have one Boer nanny that lays down and acts dead eyes roll back tongue lolls out.I thought I killed her the first time I did this. I trimmed one of her kids yesterday and he did the same thing??Makes them easy to trim you just sit down with them and do your thing.

6. allenslabs

chris you sure she ain't got some fainter in her? Or Myotonic whichever name? They do that, lay down, go stiff and look dead. Would make it easy though..!! A welcome change to tackle goat trimming! HAHA!!

7. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

She is supposed to be 100% but some where way back I guess it could be...One tinsy little gene still remaining...

8. annie716

annie716 Well-Known Member

Bravo, I couldn't do 12 at a time but mine are really overgrown, don't think most of them have been trimmed before. I did 6 one sunday (until i cut myself) by the time I got the cut taken care of I realized how out of shape I was & had to quit for the day!! It took me back to the days of rodeo competion!! I have a couple of real big & real wild that I'm going to need help with cuz they can drag me around. Once this first time is over they shouldn't be bad to keep up with. I need a stand too I have to get down on at least 1 knee, too old to bend over that long. Works good though you can rest the foot over your leg.