First time rabbit, ideas?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dbarjacres, Dec 27, 2005.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, we successfully got our first litter of champagnes. They are 2 weeks old now and really active little buggers, not like my show rabbits I used to have. Anyway, when would be the prime time to butcher these guys? (I'm only gonna do one at first and see if I can handle eating rabbit. I used to like rabbits a lot and said I'd never eat one, but realize now they are quite stupid, I adore cattle and eat them, so why not rabbit. Hubby is used to all kinds of game, so it's up to me) And also, what would be a good thing to try rabbit meat in for a first time meal? Thanks!

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

4-6 lbs is considered prime for butchering rabbits. These are called fryers and should be under 12 weeks of age.
    Easiest recipe I like for rabbit is to cut the fryer into pieces like a chicken fryer, I use shake and bake, coat rabbit and bake for about 30-40 minutes. Dont overcook or it will be dry. I also like the shake and bake for pork better then the chicken shake and bake but I guess that is a matter of taste.

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

ditto

The best rabbit I've had so far was parboiled (tough older thing), dipped in beaten egg or melted butter, then coated with a mixture of 2 parts flour/cornmeal, 1 part parmesan cheese, and a dash of seasoning salt. Yummy! Tasted like...well, chicken, but a lot less greasy. If you baked it on a rack in a pan in the oven, it would probably be even better.

Rabbit salad is pretty good too. You can use cooked and chopped rabbit in just about any recipe than normally calls for chicken.

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

I try to get hub to butcher our fryers before / between 10 - 11 weeks ,, got 17 right now 9 weeks old ,,,,, I couldn't ask him to do them while he was off for Christmas ,, but this weekend hopefully ,,,, :goodjob:

Hub thought older/bigger was better ,, but I kept stressing the fact that after about 10 weeks the amount of pellets they INHALE is not worth the say 1/2 pound they 'might' put on each additional week if you wait till 14 weeks to butcher ,, and I wean around 6 - 7 weeks ,, feed fryers free feed pellets and meadow hay / alfalfa hay ,,

He had this thing about ,, "I'm not butchering 'babies' " ,, but after doing 8 - 14 weeks old one weekend ,,,, 4 weeks later 9 - 11 week olds ,,,, LOL and 4 weeks later he did 7 - 9/10 week olds (I lied about how old these were till after he butchered ) ,,

he swore the older ones ,, it was harder to pull their skin off and even he saw that the difference in the carcass wasn't that much or too much difference in weight ,, considering some had been fed 2 - 3 weeks longer ,, except the older ones had larger fat deposits ,,

,, after I finally bought myself a scale ,, I had weighed and kept records and showed him after the third batch of fryers that there just wasn't enough difference in carcass weight to wait from 9/10 weeks till the 12/14! weeks he liked delaying to ..

I do not care for fried rabbit :shrug: ,, I can't fry chicken on the stove top either :p and have only ate my daughters fried rabbit ,, everyone else in the family likes it fried ,,

but I will take a whole rabbit ,, 2 1/2 - 3 pd carcass ,, put in large pot ,, garlic , onion , black pepper , seasioning salt , chicken bullion cube in water to season ,, cook a few hours med-high heat till tender ,, take out rabbit put in strainer till cool enough to handle ,,

then debone and tear into smallish pieces ,,

now you could put back in the pot , bring to boil and add dumplins ,, I like useing no yolk noodles sometimes ,,

back in pot ,, open 2 - 3 cans of assorted vegatables ,, add ,, simmer awhile ,, rabbit stew ,,

or put tore up meat in a crock pot ,, take a bottle of bbq sause ,, add a bottle of water ,, let simmer a few hours ,, makes great 'chopped' bbq sandwhiches

This recepie fooled my two girls for months after I started raiseing rabbits ,, they really loved my 'chicken' pies ,, :bow:

Oldest girl does the fried rabbit :) lol youngest will bring me 4 pie crusts and smile saying "I want one to take home" ,,

put meat in large bowl take 2 cans of assorted vegies (drain) ,, 1 can cream of mushroom or chicken (a small can of mushroom bits n pieces (drained) optional) ,, add some of the broth to the mix till its 'soupy' ,, tis better soupier than not ,,

this mix will fill 2 - 9 inch deep dish pies 'full' ,, put crust on top ,, bake at 375 till brown appx 45 - 55 min ,,, If you mix everything together and its just 'creamy' not 'soupy' ,, the pies will bake up 'dryish' ,,

,,,, THE MEN will say "its great tasteing now but its a little dry" ,, you know how they have to point out its not perfect ,,

there :) lol now decide which one first ,,,

5. SelfSufficientO

SelfSufficientO becky3086

We got rid of our rabbits this year. We also had a problem with killing the babies(mine were definitely still babies at 10 weeks) and if left till they are older the meat is tough. I used most of my rabbit meat ground up and made into jerky which was really good. I also found I could put two in a crockpot of BBQ sauce and let it cook all day and it would fall off the bone and actually be tender.
    Still we just felt for the amount of meat on a rabbit compaired to the amount of work and feed, they just weren't worth raising.