First time kidder (me) needs answers

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moosemaniac, Jan 5, 2005.

1. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

This will be my first year with does kidding. I probably shouldn't have, but I let my young buck run with the girls until recently because I didn't have a separate pasture ready for him and my wether. I thought I had a breeding date on one of the does which put her at a kidding date of around Dec. 7. Boy was I wrong. Now, I'm a basket case. I've been convinced almost daily that she's ready. Her tail area is looser than the other two does, she has bagged up a bit. This has been for a few weeks now. I checked to make sure the "spigots" were clear and there is what I assume is colostrum in there. She has been acting quite unusually for about 7 weeks, much more affectionate, in fact "kissing" me all over quite determinedly. This is not her first kidding. She's 8 years old. I'm only worried because apparently her last kidding 2 years ago was a bit difficult at first. My son keeps an eye on her for me while I'm at work.

Am I being a nervous "grandma" or should I be concerned? Is there any way to get an idea when she might be close? I know I need to watch for "nesting" and discharge, but is there any magic signal that will let me know that I need to be real close to her for the next couple of days?

I sure hope it's easier with the other two girls. However, one of them is a first time kidder, daughter of the doe I keep expecting to kid any minute.

Ruth

2. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

3. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

tell us the exact date she was bred. don't watch her too much, just check her every 3 hours or so. you will see the signs. she'll be by herself and pawing here & there and then will have some labor, etc. You don't want to make her nervous. she'll have more & more discharge and then she'll lay down and strain. you should see hooves within, oh, I'd say less than a half hour. They will do more standing and pawing and nervousness with younger does. they will take longer to paw around but then they'll lay down and have the kids quickly. an older doe takes longer laying down & standing up, etc. pawing around and taking her time. Expect her to maybe go an hour or more, depending upon the doe.

Have fun! Have some old rags around and get a bucket of warm or cool water ready with electrolytes. I like merrick. don't use too much, just a little. give her clean hay and feed her on the stand or by herself. Whether or not you leave kids with her or take them away is your choice. either way, take care of mother.

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Maybe she bred three weeks later when she probably cycled again. That would still put her a few days late if she was to kid on the 7th of Dec. Hope things go well for her.

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

What breed is she and also what kind of problems did she have the last time that you spoke of?? Tail ligaments is the easiest way for me to judge once loose her tail won't stand up nor can she wag it like normal. Usually within 12 hrs she will deliver. I always give my does a bucket of warm water with a little molasses in it after kidding.

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

LOL me make her nervous. I don't think so. She's an old hand at this. In fact, I think she's been filling her daughter, a first time kidder, all about it. I wish I knew the exact date. I thought it was 7/10, but Noooooooo. So I waited three weeks after the 12/7 due date to 12/28...nothing. So now another 3 makes it 1/17. I'll be a basket case by then!

From my understanding the last time she kidded, in 2003, the first kid got hung up and need help, but after that all went well. Two bucks and a doe...I have the doe.

Thanks though for all the advice. It's nice to know you guys are here!

Ruth