Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Missing Home
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my yearling doe gave birth 5-17-07 and we let her graze with the other does (and several kids) at one week after giving birth. We noticed that she looked a little skinny and we dewormed her a month ago. Today while feeding her grain I noticed her stomach doing flips!! She has not been left alone with the buck but has been around a buckling, the buckling is approximatly 5 months old now, is it possible that he has bred her and if so what do I do to get her fattened up before she gives birth? I already feed her showmaster breeders formula grains, and alfalfa pellets-free range, mineral block, and fresh hay-free range. She doesn't look extremely bad but I don't want her to either. Should I bottle feed the doeling so that she can gain some weight, I'm really concerned about her? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Bucklings can breed a doe by the time they are eight weeks old, so yes, it's quite possible that your doe is pregnant. The doeling is old enough to wean, and would probably refuse to take a bottle anyway (it's hard enough to start them on a bottle when they are newborns and have never nursed from their mother). I would suggest weaning the doeling, and putting her on very good quality feed, including something along the lines of calf manna/calf starter pellets (a small amount -- she doesn't need a lot of grain). Treat your doe as if she's pregnant -- she may not be, but it sounds like a good chance she is. And separate the buckling! He'll have your little doeling pregnant next, if you leave him in there (if he hasn't already bred her). After this, always either separate or castrate bucklings by the time they are six or seven weeks old.

Kathleen

ETA: does need to be wormed the day after they kid. It is a good idea to worm them again about three weeks later. And your doeling probably needs to be wormed, if you haven't already.

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
My local goat mentor has personally seen a two month old buck settle a dam... So, yeah, it's possible that he bred her.

I'd give her extra grain. More than the usual amount you'd give a pregnant doe since you say she's underweight. Maybe you should post a picture of her so that the more experienced goat people can tell you if she's underweight or not.

:) RedTartan

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Mine have never cycled sooner than maybe 3 weeks after kidding. So I am going on that theory.

So she kidded on May 17.

Three weeks later is June 7 when she may have been bred.

That would mean she is leass than 8 weeks pregnant. I have never seen kid movement in a doe's belly that early. Perhaps you can in a REAL skinny doe. Not saying you cannot. I just thought I would work out the dates.

Do get that buckling out of there and castrate or sell bucklings real early.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Feral Nature said:
Mine have never cycled sooner than maybe 3 weeks after kidding. So I am going on that theory.

So she kidded on May 17.

Three weeks later is June 7 when she may have been bred.

That would mean she is leass than 8 weeks pregnant. I have never seen kid movement in a doe's belly that early. Perhaps you can in a REAL skinny doe. Not saying you cannot. I just thought I would work out the dates.

Do get that buckling out of there and castrate or sell bucklings real early.

What she said. Crunch the numbers. My opinion is that what you saw was rumen activity. The earliest I have been able to detect babies in utero is about 7 weeks prior to birth, and that was multiple kids kicking around. More commonly it is 6 weeks proir to birth that I can reliably detect kids.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
oh wow, now I am worried!
I have been putting old stinky in with the girls, to get 3 of my girls bred... and I have another girl that has a 5 week old wether now.... so your saying it is possible for her to get bred now????? I never thought about that, and I wasnt quiet ready for her to get bred. Guess I need to take the girls to him from now on, huh????

·
Missing Home
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's the white doe in the first picture,the skinny one- The buckling is the one grazing beside her in the second picture http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=192535 . We had thought it was just that she needed worming but the way her stomach was moving was only on one side, almost like something was turning in there. I sat for awhile this evening and none of the others looked anywhere close to what her belly looks like. We've been giving them the worming pellets the vet suggested to keep them all wormed should we try something different-he told us to use that because it was safe for the moms who were still nursing? It's "Positive Goat Wormer" Our vet is more of a cat/dog vet than a goat vet but he's the only one within 50 miles of us that will see goats. We also have safeguard but I was told it wasn't safe for lactating does. I penned the little man up tonight with the buck, should he be okay in there, the older buck isn't at all aggressive? Thanks for the help :)

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
mamajohnson said:
oh wow, now I am worried!
I have been putting old stinky in with the girls, to get 3 of my girls bred... and I have another girl that has a 5 week old wether now.... so your saying it is possible for her to get bred now????? I never thought about that, and I wasnt quiet ready for her to get bred. Guess I need to take the girls to him from now on, huh????
That's a big YES! Especially here in the south. My girls are cycling like crazy and even a doe that kidded 5 weeks ago will be cycling in late July with a stinky buck around. She is very possibly bred, write it all down, you may have Christmas babies!

I will not be breeding anything til after August 10...don't want any kids born til after New Years and that gives me freedom from worry til after the holidays....well, that is the plan. :)

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Ladybug, I looked at the pics...she is not skinny for a doe with a kid...and the buckling is very much old enough and big enough to have bred everything in the pen, so I hope he is out of there.

If her left side is moving, it is probably just her rumen. I can't feel my does kids move til they are MUCH further along than yours could possibly be.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Feral Nature said:
That's a big YES! Especially here in the south. My girls are cycling like crazy and even a doe that kidded 5 weeks ago will be cycling in late July with a stinky buck around. She is very possibly bred, write it all down, you may have Christmas babies!

I will not be breeding anything til after August 10...don't want any kids born til after New Years and that gives me freedom from worry til after the holidays....well, that is the plan. :)
Well, rats!
I had not noticed a heat in my FF, so I really just didnt pay any attention. In fact, didnt notice a heat in my nubian either. But she smelled real bucky the other day, so I bet she is bred. :rolleyes:
Oh well, the more the merrier! lol!
I will be sure to be home around christmas.

·
Missing Home
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ty I've been terribly worried about her, it was her left side moving, it just looked like an awful lot of movement in there lol~I think the other problem with her is that she doesn't have a very big appetite where the rest of the ladies won't quit eating lol!! They even flip over the bunny hunch to dump out their grain so they can eat it :nono:

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
The left side is the rumen side, so it is her digestive tract moving. Is she the doe on the bottom of the pecking order? Perhaps that is why the other does knock over the rabbit hutch and get the feed and she does not. The lower doe is generally the thinnest. Also, check her for parasites.

·
Registered
641 Posts
That has to be her rumen. The rumen makes a churning motion like that. That is what we want to see. When that stops, get worried b/c that means the rumen has shut down and if you don't do something fast, the goat will die. You doe doesn't look too skinny to me. If she is, it isn't much. She looks mostly dairy and they tend to be more bony looking. You don't want her fat. When we first got started, we bought Positive Pellet goat dewormer and our vet told us that it was a waste of time and money. It isn't reliable. I think Panacur is safe during pregnancy and I know Ivermectin is. I'd at least have your vet do a fecal check to make sure what you are using is working.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts