Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the poor girl has puller her self bald man she is a mess. she is bald in places i never thought she could reach. any one else ever have this happen? good thing its not cold out. I guess she knew it was going to be 100 today :help:

·
Beautiful Bergen, Norway
106 Posts
If you've got another doe who kindled in the last few days, you can take one or two of the babies off and foster them on the other doe (assuming she has fewer babies). I've always heard to cull down to 8 at a maximum, since they can't nurse more than 8 at a time =(

It's for this reason that I always breed my does in pairs.

Good luck!

Annie

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
delirium said:
If you've got another doe who kindled in the last few days, you can take one or two of the babies off and foster them on the other doe (assuming she has fewer babies). I've always heard to cull down to 8 at a maximum, since they can't nurse more than 8 at a time =(

It's for this reason that I always breed my does in pairs.

Good luck!

Annie
It's a good practice to breed does two or more at a time so that fostering is a possibility, but a healthy doe should have no problem with 9. I've had does raise as many as a dozen, however there were two runts in that litter. They all survived and grew up fine, but the runts took longer to reach butchering weight.

If you have another doe kindling now that has, perhaps, fewer than 7 kits, then you could foster one or two to her to even the litters, but if not I would not worry. Just be sure your doe has plenty of good food and water and a place to cool off.

Remove some of the fur in the nest if it is going to be very hot. Make sure it is very dry and then store it in a zip-lock baggie. Sooner or later you will have a doe that does not pull enough fur and then it will come in handy.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a good doe.
I have 2 ready to kindle this week. First time. It's hard to wait to see what happens. But I guess I don't have a choice. They'll kindle when they feel like it.
I would'nt cull any of her babies, my luck the day after I did it 2 others would die for some other reason. The runts might be slow or small at butcher time, but they will still be good eating or pets, what ever you need them for.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
If there is a ton of hair and its that hot out, you could take soem of the hair and put it in a bag in case you have a doe later that doesn't pull enough hair or you need to clean a nest out.

·
Registered
831 Posts
delirium said:
I've always heard to cull down to 8 at a maximum, since they can't nurse more than 8 at a time =(

Annie
Bad information! I've had NZ does raise 14. Many of my does raise
10 per litter. The babies don't latch on and stay with one teat.
They move from teat to teat thus giving all babies a chance at dinner.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
We had a few that did 10 this year no problems.

And we have 2 or 3 that really pull their hair out when it's that time.
Wait till you see the mess when they clean it out of the nest box themselves...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts