Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 sisters that are pregnant for their first times, (or i think both are/were) they live in a large hutch outdoors and have a large 1000+sq ft yard to free roam.

One of the girls gave birth this morning. However she didn't use either of the 2 nesting boxes i put in the hutch. She had then in a small area where they normally use the litter. I had cleaned the litter area recently, and she built a good nest but it's still where they had mainly been using the litter.

Should I move the kits into a nesting box in another section of the hutch? should I move a nesting box to where she had the babies? or is it fine to leave them where they are?
she had the kits in the pink area on bottom right of hutch.
Wood Gas Hardwood Lumber Plywood

bunny tax

·
Premium Member
27,959 Posts
Yes, leave them alone if they are doing well.

I had a doe once that had her litter in a corner of her cage. The weather was warm and she made a good nest. The babies did just fine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just my experience. One of our first time mamas had 10 kits scattered outside the nesting box. My wife placed them all inside the box with the scattered pulled hair. 3 eventually died.
Also there's folks on here that are very helpful. I know I'm glad they're here n always helpful.

·
Premium Member
27,959 Posts
A good nest containing kits in one spot is very different than scattered kits and a strewn about nest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had three first time does do that this year. All made nest outside of the box. I put the nest they made inside of the box. Two done great. One small litter didn't make it don't know the reason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts