First the cottonmouth...now spiders!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hubby just came in the house to show me something. He's been cleaning out the garage all afternoon and managed to get himself bit by a spider just below his thumb on the top of his hand.

He said it was a small brown spider with spindly legs, but he doesn't think it's a brown recluse. It swelled up in seconds and he said it feels "tingly". If there's any change within the next hour I'm making him go to the ER.

Unfortunately, the spider is no longer available for identification. Hubby smashed it flat when it bit him.

:(

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

3. Ravenlost

Thanks for the links! According to that first link not everyone has a severe reaction to a Brown Recluse bite. It also says to seek medical help even though there isn't much a doctor can do! Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it. It's still swollen about the same, but is leaking some clear fluid now.

4. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Ok, remind me never to move to Mississippi :haha:

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Shygal, she hasn't even mentioned the COCKROACHES! If they don't getcha the FIRE ANTS will!

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I was bitten (in my sleep) by what we and the doctor thought was probably a brown luclus.The area was a little itchy,which made it swell just a little,then in several hrs it was beginning to develope a red ring around it.Like ring worm.The doctor prescribed some anti biotic cream.Next day the red ring was a light looking bruise of the same size as where the ring was.But the cream made it go away by day three or four.Or i just wasnt bitten that bad/nicked.The brushing is normal with a brown laclus,how ever it usually is followed by a big rotten hole several days later.This was many years ago.Surely they have something for it by now.The doctor was just hoping the cream worked sence we cought it so soon.And it did.
    I still remember what my grandfathers bite looked like.Yeck!He didnt no he was bit untill several days later.

We have them a black widows bad here! I recently seen a show on tv about black widow bites.I did no they would almost kill you.But i never new they where so painful.People said they thought they where going to die and even wished they would at times.Now thats painful.I no longer leave my shoes on the porch because i cant remember to shake them out and not to sure how good that works anyway.Most people on this show where bit on the foot.
    Humm i think ill go out side and look around abit.I can almost always find a black widow hideing under the junk in my back yard.The gutter down spots here are there favorit spots.I have noticed keeping all the grass cut keeps down on all spiders.It must keep down on there food sorce/bugs/grass hopers.I bug bomb my sheds if they seem to be getting bad in there.

7. Ravenlost

We have killed some nasty black widow spiders here. His bite now looks like a blister that peeled off and is healing. The swelling and redness around it is still there. He says it doesn't hurt at all.

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

My cousin was bit by one once. I remember the front of the lower part of his leg had a big rotton area. Not pretty to look at.

9. Ravenlost

Yeah, I told hubby when he has a big rotten gaping hole on his hand I'm just gonna say, "Told you so!". :no: