Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gals have had many swollen muzzles, eyes and ears from stings so far this year, but today I saw the first snakebite. Elenna is all swollen from above her eye, down to the tip of her muzzle this afternoon when I checked on them. It must have happened yesterday evening or early this morning because you can see stretched skin from where the swelling has already gone down some. She is obviously uncomfortable, but is cudding and browsing with the others. Wonder what kind of snake.....not that she'll tell me. :rolleyes: They are on 20 acres of brush with lots of rock outcroppings so plenty of good snake areas. Poor gal looks uncomfortable, but she'll be ok.

·
Premium Member
15,781 Posts
Do goats normally survive poisonous snake bites?

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it depends a lot on *where* they get bit...but I might be wrong. I know I have had copperhead bit snakes before and they survived. One abcessed out and drained for a week or so, but the doe was fine.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I have had two goats bitten by copperheads, an older doe and a young kid. Both were bitten on the upper leg/chest area. Both survived with no problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts