First snake bite of the year!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Our dog, Huck, was bitten today on his back paw between the toes. Wasn't a poisonous snake, thank goodness. His paw is swollen and he's licking it, but he isn't limping or anything. This doesn't even compare to last summer's water moccasin bite!

Hubby killed the snake with a rock.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Thank goodness your pooch is just bit and not fanged by a poisionous snake.
    I remember when I worked for the vet and a pointer came in with a rattler bite in the head right between the eyes were the characteristic 2 point fang marks. The dog was poisoned from the venom and his head swelled hugely and the eyes puffed shut. Luckily he could breath with a tracheal tube instered with emergency care and intravenous fluids. We watched him closely for the day and he was okay. They considered anitvenom, but it was already too late with all the venom within the dog's system to counteract. I think that was a lucky dog to pull through.
    I'm glad I live in the northland. We don't have any poisionous snakes in this area, and generally rare until you get way further west or down east.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

gee raven your dogs are not haveing a good year!! glad to here that it was not a poisonous snake .we have few snakes near us . maybe you should take a vet tech course .at least they are spreading the joy and it's not one poor soul getting all the luck!! moon wolf, at one time the massasuga rattler ranged all over ontario,now mostly near georgian baypenninsula-parry sound area.never know with mnr's relocate program you may have new neighbours! our mom grew up on the georgian bay penninsula so we were always taught to treat all snakes as poisonous even though we were east near the quebec border.never saw one in all her life but she still did not want us bit(most times at least :D )

4. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

First of the year?! Wow! Does that mean it happens every single year? More than once? Do you live in the wilderness? We have timber rattlers around here, but they like to stay in the woods.

5. Ravenlost

I live in the swampy wilds of northern Mississippi! Most of our property is in a flood plane. Our north property line is a large creek...the Hickahala Creek (Hickahala means "stop and arrive" in Chickasaw). We also have three ponds...one is in the front yard.

Last year Huck was bitten by a water moccasin and spent a week in the hospital. It bit him on his front paw and his chest swelled so much it was compressing his heart. It was touch and go for several days. The vet even took him home so he could keep a 24 hour watch on him. He's very snake shy now, won't even swim in the pond anymore, so I think yesterday's snake snuck up on him! He's not real perky today, but is eating fine and the paw hasn't swollen any more. He's not limping on it or anything. Hubby just knew he'd killed a water moccasin, but I went to look and it was just a common water snake. That's okay. Hubby and I agree that if he doesn't know for sure what kind of snake it is he should kill it. He's a city boy and doesn't know his snakes, birds, trees, plants, etc. That's my job!

We found our first snake crawling in the front yard in January...a week after we'd had our only ice storm of the winter!!! I'm afraid we're in for a very snaky summer. Hubby killed five water mocassins last year. I expect to see more this year. Hopefully this will be the only snake bit though. We also lost a cat last year to a moccasin bite.

6. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Raven if you're dealing with poisonous snakes (or any for that matter) on that much of a regular basis you might want to look into having a pair of grabbers or even a good snake hook handy around the place. That and a pair of welding gloves may lessen the odds of having to deal with a wet bite from a moc or anything else down there. With the way that exotic species of snake and lizard in the warmer climates it may not be a bad idea to have one or two specialized tools on hand. Heck, even in the colder climates it's possible for things to survive. At one point Brockton, Massachusetts had a breeding population of diamondbacks because some idiot wanted to avoid the fine for possession of a venomous species and instead dumped them outdoors. They actualy survived at least a couple of New England winters. Don't know if they're still around or not but there's only one bad way to find out and the good ways take up too much time for most....

You never know, one day you may be faced with a 10-20ft Burmese or African Rock python or 6' Nile Monitor instead of water mocs. Personally, I'd choose the pythons or lizards but only because I've never had any desire to work/deal with any "hots" at all. Anyway, I used to get all of my reptile supplies from www.herpsupplies.com. John is a super nice guy there and completely knowledgeable. He should be able to answer any Q's you may have should you decide to look into things a bit more....

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Around here my Dogs either get bit by Copperheads or Rattlers.Dang fools dig them out.

big rockpile

8. Ravenlost

Big Rockpile, I used to have a dog that went out of his way to find copperheads and kill them. It was his mission in life. Unfortunately, his mind deteriorated with every bite and he turned viscious. I had to dispose of him, which really broke my heart.

Thanks for the info MikeD. I keep telling hubby to at least take a large sturdy stick with him when he goes on his walks and to avoid overgrown areas, but he doesn't listen very well. A pair of grabbers or hook is probably a good idea. Either that or he needs to start carrying a pistol with him like my Daddy does.

I bought six boxes of mothballs today and plan to lace the barn and my garden with them...will probably put them around the yard and pond too.

9. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I try to keep the bunny barn surrounded by moth balls but this year the chickens would try to eat them....

Somebody told me that if you put a wide strip of gravel, about 12 inches wide, all around your chicken house and around your barn, garden or wherever it would deter snakes because they don't like to crawl over the gravel....

I'm going to try that with the bunny barn and chicken house soon, possibly when I get paid week after next.....

I can't stand snakes! We have goats and our chickens are free range and that is supposed to be good snake deterrants!

10. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Glad to hear your dog is going to be OK Ravenlost!
    I hate to see snake season get here, we have too many rattlesnakes in our area. The free range chickens and guineas keep a lot of them out of the yard, but I usually see a few that make it up close to the house.

11. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Suzy you might want to look into that gravel theory further before you invest the time/money. I was called out at 10:30 pm a few years ago by a local police dept. to pick up what turned out to be a 10' Burmese python after it had crossed over 4 lanes of traffic on a major route. Don't know how but when I got it it didn't have any tire marks on it. Just one heck of an attitude because the idiots that initially captured it put it in a big garbage can with a sign on the lid that said "Free Sandwiches - Take one." Cops have an odd sense of humor sometimes. It WAS fun watching thier faces when I asked them if they had washed up after handling the snake and before eating the pizza they had ordered due to potential salmonella contamination. :haha: