First sign of spring coming soon!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Jan 24, 2005.

1. Yow, I know, everyone besides us here in Oklahoma is getting belted by big snow storms. In fact right here in my area of Oklahoma we haven't received more than a dusting at one time during the whole year of 2004 and it looks like the winter of 2005 maybe about the same. So I guess that is why I'm starting to see some of the first signs of spring already. About every 10 days or so we get up into the upper 60's. Yesterday I went walking down by the creek nearby and what did I see.....Wild Onions peeking up through the leaves. There only about a month and half early this year. Not to mention that my garden onions have never really gone totally dormant this winter. Every once in a while I go out and pick a couple of them for dinner.

During christmas of 2003 Santa Claus brought my kids some snow sleds to play out in the snow with. To this date the sleds have never been used yet. When I was growing up we use to get about 4 to 6 good snow falls every winter. Not anymore. But the way some of you are getting belted I don't think I want to complain about it.

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying R.H.! It's going to be in the high 60's today and I already have my shorts on. :D

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I hear you RH, I'm so glad not to be fighting the snow and cold and ice and mud this winter! Wonder why I stayed in CO as long as I did? Shhh don't tell too many people that OK is much nicer than CO! LOL

4. baysidebunny

baysidebunny Well-Known Member

We aren't fighting snow.
    The sky is clear over here in Washington state and the weather on my home page says high of 56 today. I did overhear a woman talking about her daffodiles starting to show and I myself saw several robins in the yard as I pulled up to the house last week, so I guess it wont be long before Spring and that Easter bunny will be on thier way. :)

[​IMG]

5. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Sunday morning here in NE Texas, I watched from my bed (great view, by the way!!:):) a Cardinal, BlueJay, Finch/Chickadee and a ROBIN... the first three were trying to peck frozen water from the bird bath and using the feeders, all right outside my window.

Sure am glad it's warming up againg this week.. mid 50's and 60's.. yay. I know we're not done with the cold snaps yet... but.. sure feel sorry for you guys up in Yankee Land! :):)

6. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

It's cheating, but this time of year I like to cut some branches off of the forsythia bushes out back and bring them in for forcing. I love those bright yellow flowers in February.

7. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I mowed my grass today!! Saw the daffy's are coming up I guess I better start weeding those beds huh!!! I am thinking I am going to start peas why not? I been cooking supper on the back porch again love it!! Got to get the propane filled tho I think I am on fumes. Can't wait to start working in the garden yahoo!!!!

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

On the contrary r.h.,, it's been in the 60's here and just beautiful! The Daffodils and Crocus are up and my herbs are growing well. The ducks are twitterpated too! LOL

I am very glad I don't live where there is serious weather. you can have that stuff! LOL

LQ

9. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

Yup, spring must be around the corner. We now have almost six hours of daylight and the temperature is around zero (that's warm after two weeks of 40 and 50 below zero.

I came home from work the other day and my excited five year old says, "Daddy, Daddy, Mama says spring will be here in four days!!" My wife then corrects her, " No honey I said four months." It will actually be May before we see all the snow and ice gone.

10. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

beautiful here today! 33F

11. FrankTheTank

12. Yep, I live right up there in the N.E. corner of Oklahoma. Right close to the corners of Mo. and Arkansas. So you can see we are getting lots of sunshine. It does get cold at night but warms up nicely during the day. Suppose to be another 60 plus today.

13. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

To get about 34F today with light rain. N. W. Ontario.
    We don't even think about spring for at least another month. Besides it's good early 'spring' crappie fishing in early April through 2 feet of ice on the nearby lake.

So far a good insulating snow cover will help to keep the frost going too deep in the ground. This is good for gardening once it all thaws probably by about end of March. In a good year the crocuss would begin to come up on the south side in mid April. I suspect it won't be much different this year.
    When I start seeing the canada geese flying here from the river, about early march, it means most remote ponds are opening up. That's usually a pretty good sign of spring, so it's a few weeks away to think about yet.
    Besides, it's nice to enjoy the snowshoe and cross country ski jaunts on the trails. I just hope we don't get too much of the rain to slop up the good layer of snow now.

14. FrankTheTank

THinking back, i can only remember one time when we ice fished in April, and even then it was very sloppy and in a back bay with lots of shade (had to take the boat to get there).

I'm in SouthWest WI...so usually we can start thinking about spring by early march. I just hope the rain isn't so heavy and persistent as last year, it got very annoying.

Looking at the above picture, its funny that NE still has a lot of snow down in the East part of the state, while the West part was sitting in 70F temps yesterday.

15. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

It was 74deg here Fri & it went down to 14deg Sat night. Here in Central OK,the weather is pretty Changeable.Highs in the 60s today, but who really knows about tomorrow? I've still got green grass in my back yard!

16. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Here in S.W. Mo we of course are having about the same weather as you. No snow however...but the temps have been a virtual roller coaster each week. Today it is in the 70's (was only supposed to get into the 60's). Wild onions have been up since mid December, and my Lilacs are starting to bud out. we had quite a bunch of robbins come through a day or so ago (heading north I suppose). Have also seen a few bees out. looks to me like spring is knocking on the door for at least a few of us. Of course I'm not going to say that we are out of the woods yet.