first sheep :)

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by longearsfarm, May 26, 2006.

1. longearsfarm

longearsfarm Well-Known Member

I've taken my fiber addiction to a new level and as of today I'm a shepherdess :).

Now residing with all the other animals are Princess a rambouillet, and her two daughters, yearling Penelope who is a ram./babydoll southdown cross and baby penny who is a ram./cormo cross. Penelope is black, the other two are white.

Just had to share...we're focusing on hand feeding and treats and calmness because the yearling in particular is quite spooky. I"m used to my ND goats who are obnoxiously all over people, the sheep are of course not like that. But I'm hopeful!

Valerie
    LongEars Farm

2. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Oh that is so cool!

What kind of 'house' do they have? What sort of fencing did you put up? I presume if you've got goats you had all that in place already...

My son loves sheep, I love fiber (and sheep) and we hope to have a few in the next couple of years. Suggestions welcome!

My kid loves the minisheep (babydoll southdowns) and I am partial to them myself. Seems to me they'd be lots of fun, and good lawnmowers with decent fleeces. :)

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new obsess...I mean, hobby!

Yes, it's more difficult with sheep than goats, but not impossible. I've got a ewe here that acts like a goat, right down to biting your butt if she's not getting the attention she believes she needs. If you go walking with her (we take her hiking), she'll often step on your heels or toes. I swear she wants to be carried!