Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I fried up 8 quail eggs for breakfast thinking I would have a nice little egg English muffin. I turned around and found exactly 3 left after the boys and wife found them. I will say they are tiny, but very tasty. It will be a challenge to keep enough of them hidden for my breakfast in the mornings. On a more serious note, two questions- I am assuming quail are much like chickens in the fact a roo is not needed for eggs, just for hatching eggs, is this correct? Second I have 2 Roos in with 4 females which seems a little over kill, is this correct? I have one male who is very much in charge and another who is much more timid. Any advice appreciated!

Living the dream with 3 crazy boys and one awesome wife!

·
Registered
810 Posts
You can separate them and give each boy two girls. Or make sure your the one that gets to eat that extra roo.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Have you boiled any yet? Those lil boiled eggs are a great snack.

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
Pickled quail eggs!
If you can hold off eating a couple weeks worth of eggs in a little over a month you could have multiplied your quail flock to almost 60 birds. As you well know the quail start laying at 6 weeks old so in a few months you'll have enough eggs so your whole family can pig out on them every day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. Now we have something new going on, but after researching some past threads I think I may know whats going on. I separated out the male that was getting beat up with 2 females and I get one egg a day from this group. I then put the more aggressive male with 2 hens and have not gotten a single egg in over 2 weeks. One of these hens is extremely flighty and the other is pretty territorial as she gets all fluffed up whenever I do chores. This male seems fine with these two ladies though, so all is well, except the no eggs at all. :hrm:
I have settled on game bird crumbles as in past threads it seems most agree this is the way to go. I will eliminate scratch if that is the consensus. It seems if I let them be for a couple weeks here I should start to see some eggs. I did recently also (1 1/2 weeks ago) put them in a sweet double deck hutch as the keeping them on grass idea was not at all popular with them. But again even the group with the less aggressive male hasn't skipped a beat.
I am tempted to give this aggressive group another week, possibly 2 tops and then we may have a nice little quail dinner. Any tips at this point will be highly appreciated. No matter how much research I did for these birds has seemed to help :smack...crazy little birds, but the eggs are so good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts